• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tracks

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Afternoon Folks I have a question concerning a post this morning from a guy looking to purchase a Deuce, the one he is looking at comes with a set of tracks that appear to go over the rear duals, I believe the guy stated that these were thought to be modified tracks from a 113 APC, Does anybody know of a set of commercially made and available to buy tracks that would mount effectively and work on a Deuce? I had never heard of this before and would sure seem like something fun to play with if they could be had and didnt double the price of the truck to do so? Any info would sure be appreciated
KK

jwaller

yup, they were available decades ago, bjorn posted a message about them and the PS mag article on them. I would buy the truck to get the tracks if he has the original ones.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about that but I really did a search on the subject and could not find anything, I will look further and see if I can fin that thread and thanks for letting me know that
KK

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very familier with Mattracks they are mfg less than 150 miles from my office, really nice YES really effective YES these would quadrupal the cost of my Deuce and that is something most definately do not want to do! I am WAY to cheap for that solution
KK

whyme

i like the idea from the cool factor but it seems less than useful for most of us. as it is there is a ton of weight over the front axle and not much over the back, my lawn is proof of this. airing down is more than enough for most of us unless your loaded to the max. steering would likely suffer a tad and i would be cautious of how they would treat the tires given they would ride the sidewalls.

a question i would have also is that on any tracked design ive seen there are always rollers between the drive wheels/sprockets to distribute weight. just tossing tracks over tires wouldn't do that and the bulk of the ground pressure would be the same as just the tandems

cool tho for sure.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good thoughts on this subject whyme and your point do make a lot of sense, the part about the amount of weight on the front axle is very concerning, if got inot a place where the back WAS floating the front is still going to sink like a rock! I am starting to think the coolness factor is maybe not worth the effort???
KK

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Being that your going to TRACK UP at site where needed, just DUEL Up the front at the same time, use rear buds on the front, then just roll up on a block, put the outer duel on, put rear lug nuts on, your ready to go, most likely you can do this faster then TRACKEN UP

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My coolness idea is losing ground very rapidly guys, 73m819 your ideas on the front axle is another very good one there are mor than one way to skin a cat and your ideas sound a lot easier (NOT AS COOL) than messing with tracks of any type. Thanks a LOT guys decent idea in theory but I am seeing that it probably ends there! THANKS AGAIN for you input its much appreciated!
KK

wilber

I have a pair of duel tracks. I don't know what size tires they fit. They were used on one axle, over the duels.
They are heavy steel and I found them on an old oil lease here in Kansas. I'm at work so I can't send a picture.
they could only be used off road because they are steel contact and I don't think you could go very fast with them mounted.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wilber I very much appreciate the info but in all honesty I think I have been talked out of the tracks idea, to many people here had to many othere ideas that just plain made more sense but thanks again!
KK

wilber

You bet KK. I was just hijacking your thread to see if anyone knew anything about these duel tracks. I always thought they would be cool on the front of a Deuce or halftrack if you dueled the front. I bet you need traction help in ND. I freeze down here in KS. Have a good one.