• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Traction Aids up front

Croatan_Kid

For a while I thought I had a M1028, but I double checked the NSN and sure nuff, it aint. So now I'm thinking about adding some sorta traction aid up front. It'd be nice to have a selectable locker, but that's outta budget. I think a limited slip will prove to be my best bet. What would be a good choice?

AJMBLAZER

Definitely the Detroit TrueTrac. Gear driven so no clutches to wear out and have to be replaced.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produ...ducts/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm

That said remember that by the time you've gotten an LS and torn apart the whole front diff to install it...a selectable locker wouldn't have cost a whole lot more. LS's do present some on road driving issues if you do drive on the road in 4x4 so keep that in consideration.

Personally I'm not going to do anything to my open front until I need and can afford a selectable front locker.

Croatan_Kid

Yeah, I might be better off just getting a selectable locker. But which one? Ox-Locker because it's an awesome cable actuated locker? ARB and force myself to run onboard air which I'm planning on anyway? Mind you this is by no means a top priority, I still have to get two more tires and finish paying for the truck and all that good stuff. I just like to know the next step. I'll probly put in the locker when I do the 35 spline outers and Warn hubs. Then I'll shave the rear and do a disc brake swap with Eldorado calipers. Man, I can't wait!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
We had an Oxlocker on my Son's 99 Wrangler and took it out because it bumped in and out. We then just scrapped the POC dana 35 for a Dana 44 with the Jeep installed air locker it works good. If I was going to do a 3/4 ton axle I would look into the Eaton Elocker I heard they are pretty good although I have not owned one.

1956_4x4

I had a Blazer with a Detroit in the rear and a Lockright in the front. This was my first vehicle with locked front and rear axles. There are times when I had very reduced steering with the front locker engaged. The reduced steering made me a firm believer in a selectable locker, at least for the front.

Smitty

AJMBLAZER

I'll second the dishonorable mention of the Ox Locker. I've heard a lot of Jeepers complaining that their engagement is tricky at best and unreliable at worst.

The ARB is the fail safe but I'd probably lean towards one of the electrically actuated lockers out there. Detroit and Eaton have products...although now that Eaton and TracTech are the same company I think one product will be leaving.

Croatan_Kid

Hmmm....an electric locker sounds good I suppose. Just hit a switch and it's locked, don't havre to wait for the compressor to run, etc. Still running on board air though 8)

Anybody know a decent place to buy a locker that has pretty good prices?