• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tractor and trailer

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'd give my right gonad for that tractor trailer rig. When I was stationed at Fort Benning we had several of those. We used them to pull forklifts and our D-8 dozers. The 5-tons would grunt a little but they would pull the D-8's any where we wanted them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joseph, thats a lot of weight for that tractor, how does it move? More importantly, how does it stop?

westfolk

I agree with you. It is alot of weight. Not the most I've had on. My verified record is 56,400lbs, that's hooked to the fifth wheel. That truck has(and continues to) do things it was not built for. I'm slow taking off, but I get her up to speed. Around 50 is tops for moving the excavator. Stopping no problem. Now that I finally got a 5 ton(M52A2) this old girl will get to take a break. The heaviest machine I have to move is a 45 ton Komatsu excavator. Which until now I had to use another truck. I figure the M52A2 will do that no problem. I only do short hops between quarries. Max distance about 15 miles.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is an historical fact that in the Korean war transportation officers were forced to load 2 1/2 ton trucks with up to 20 tons and more of ammunition in attempt to keep the war fighters supplied with ammo during the Chinese push south. From the accounts the trucks held up and did the job although complaining about it. (think of the wrecker Mater in the movie Cars) I was forced as a transporter in the first Gulf war to use a 10K forklift to move FUPP's for M1 tanks and they go in the neigborhood of 15K the screached but did not let us down. I worry about the FMTV fleet being put to such tests.