• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tractor drag winch?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks similar to the 45,000 on the back of the wreckers. If it is, it's power in/out

jatonka

Jeli has a good point, and a GREAT avatar BTW, We just completed a 2 week winch job with the M543A2 and a line truck with bed winch. We used the line truck to pull the 3/4" cable off the wrecker. When I put my next tractor together it will have a drag winch high on the rear. Such a setup. JT out

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about that one. but a lot of big winches have a "free spool" capability, because power-out, is so slow.

Lee in Alaska

jeli

OK Ok, I'll painfully go back through Sept and October's Hot Chick's on the local radio's web site to find her!!!

So what's the story on the winch? I was thinking of a 10 ton wanna be. Take an M813, medium wheel base. Convert to a 5th wheel and add the winch behind the cab. Change the wheels over to 14.00 x 20's off a bridge truck and you have a mini looking 10 ton. The only bad part is it will still be over width.

OpieNoTool

I know the one on my 543a2 is power in and out but the one im lookin at getting the drive housing looks different. That and i was trying to figure out what all the air lines and valves were for on it. i know the tensioner is air on it but there is an air cylender undernath for somthing not sure what?

AMGeneral

That's a rear drag winch off a M123A1C 10 ton tractor,the air lines go to the reversing gear under the winch itself(not actually part of the winch).This is air actuated on the M123 and is used to select whether the winch is pulling in or paying out cable.As far as I know there is no 45K winch that free spools out cable.

DavidB

Power in, power out, and drag to what you wish to pull.Never seen a cable stiff enough where you don't have to pull it some.
DavidB

Rattlehead

Re: RE: Tractor drag winch?

jeli said:
OK Ok, I'll painfully go back through Sept and October's Hot Chick's on the local radio's web site to find her!!!
Are you still painfully looking for that link? We are still painfully waiting :lol: :drool:

OpieNoTool

AMGeneral said:
That's a rear drag winch off a M123A1C 10 ton tractor,the air lines go to the reversing gear under the winch itself(not actually part of the winch).This is air actuated on the M123 and is used to select whether the winch is pulling in or paying out cable.As far as I know there is no 45K winch that free spools out cable.
Do the 10 ton tractors have an air clutch on them like my wrecker does so you can control it from the back or do you have to run it from the inside of the truck?

AMGeneral

Niether,You just put it in gear inside the cab,the winch stays in neutral till you select either wind or unwind with the control lever mounted on a small plate on the winch top left hand side.(upper left corner of the above picture)