• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trade a 84 936 for a 97 Hummer

earthcooler

I have the chance to trade a 1984 936 in perfect condition for a 97 H -1 Wagon in pieces. The deal started over the phone.
The person over the phone stated the H-1 was an Alpha. I went and viewed the Hummer and saw the condition it was in.I did a little research and found out the Alpha was only made in 2006.
Everything else is a clone. My question to the membership is this. My 936 will only be worth X. The Hummer Alpha Clone is worth Y.
I will have to completely reassemble the H1 Alpha clone and rebuild it. There is nothing in the H1 that is working. It does have a Duramax with the Allison transmission sitting in it. No harness. The dash has been burnt. The H1 is basically a shell with some rust inside where the fire was . I see 20K plus investment plus the original cost of my 936 (12k) in this thing. Is the H1in its present condition worth more than the working 936 is? When redone will the hummer be worth the investment ?

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The clone is not a true Alpha and will never be worth what an Alpha is. I cannot remark on what the labor will be worth to rebuild the Hummer but you know what your truck is worth to you. I would imagine that rebuilt and finished the Hummer would be worth up to $50K if it has a salvage title more if it does not. You will have to add in your labor at some kind of rate you think its worth to see if the trade is worth it too you. You also need to add in the wait time you will not have a working truck that is worth something. I have an older 5 ton and a 96 Hummer they are both great trucks but totally different. Eddy

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not but that's me
I would not get rid of a nice working truck for a pile of non working.
A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.
Unless you got lots of cash you just want to burn.

stampy

Personally I'd keep the 936 (bird in the hand thing) This project may run into costs and time constraints you don't want to deal with, unless you are wealthy and retired and need a hobby. If you have a rebuilder near you who could look it over and quote you a price thats firm to rebuild then and only then would I reccommend you trading (once you KNOW the cost to rebuild). Or I'd offer the guy 5-6K for the heap and keep the 936 and you could work on it with little up front money in it.

RDUKW

Send some pictures so we can see what condition the hummer is in. If the hummer is all there and you have the means and know how to do the repairs I would do the trade. There has been several h1's that have been converted to a military lay out after a fire due to it being a lot cheaper than buying expensive and rare h1 interior parts.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say keep the 936 also, you can still find a H1 running or at least complete and like some outhers have said if you cant to the work it would be hi $$ to restore this 1. I too would like to see pics thought.

earthcooler

Trade

The clone is not a true Alpha and will never be worth what an Alpha is. I cannot remark on what the labor will be worth to rebuild the Hummer but you know what your truck is worth to you. I would imagine that rebuilt and finished the Hummer would be worth up to $50K if it has a salvage title more if it does not. You will have to add in your labor at some kind of rate you think its worth to see if the trade is worth it too you. You also need to add in the wait time you will not have a working truck that is worth something. I have an older 5 ton and a 96 Hummer they are both great trucks but totally different. Eddy
Eddie,

The hummer has no title. The owner claims to be able to get one. For me that smells like a problem from the get go.
I really thought based on his remarks that the deal would be a good on. I have a complete shop and the repairs would be labor intense. I wanted a project but one of this magnitude may be a little much. I will however post some pics later to show the difference in the two vehicles.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built a m998 out of a burned unit and it ended up being an unbelieveable amount of labor and expense.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep your M936. Compute the vehicle weight in aluminum scrap, determine what the 6.5L and Allison transmission are worth to you, and offer that amount to the owner. If he says no, walk away. The owner lied to you once. He will lie again.

Gunzy

I had bought a '97 H1 that had burned(not uncommon evidently) for $1700. I stripped all the aluminum off, all the burnt wiring out and sold the rolling chassis for $2000. Then got the scrap out of the aluminum and copper. Keep your truck and offer him $2500 as is or walk away.

KansasBobcat

Having restored a USMC M998 that was original and running with 2,400 miles on it, I can tell you the parts really add up. I quit adding at 10,000.00 on parts, fluids, paint, etc. Most of the parts were new GI and cost less than H1 parts from the dealer. I would look for a running, nonfire damaged H1 or M998. Good luck, Bob

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I good HMMWV body is 5-10k....just depends how lucky you get, but that's the hardest part to find. The rest can be found rather easily. As Kansasbobcat stated, the cost of a build up for a Hummer/hmmwv is quite pricey.
i do really nothing else in my shop, 500hrs on a frame off is normal and parts prices are all over the place, but figure another 20-25k

Augi

Fire screws up the temper of the aluminum the body tub. You don't want to mess with that. After being rebuilt, good luck getting $30k for it.

Augi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks