• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Traffic Stop/I was speeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is certainly ya'lls constitutional right to hate law enforcement, however understand that when LEOs see a military vehicle driven by someone in civilian clothes, they automatically assume it could be stolen (probable cause). .
That's not PC...Now, if they got a report from a local barracks that it was stolen, that's enough for a terry stop... But you cannot stop someone based on the car they're driving...

I got pulled over for 'driving a crown vic when you're not a cop', and got issued a bunch of BS tickets as a 'you'll sell the car or I'll keep pulling you over and giving you tickets'.....

He got laughed out of court.... He was dumb enough to testify that he pulled me over because I was 'driving a police car, but he wasn't a cop', when I asked him if he was gonna pull over my grandmother, since she drives a crown victoria as well, the court erupted in laughter.. Judge wasn't happy but saw my point.. and said the officer couldn't use that to justify the stop.. So the officer changed his story and said he couldn't see me because the tint was too dark... So he pulled me over for a tint violation....to which I responded that he had JUST said that he positively identified me as not being an officer, and his testimony was contradictory, because you could either TELL I wasn't an officer, and the tint wasn't dark, or you pulled me over because the tint was too dark and couldn't see me, so I called him on it.. Then he changed his story AGAIN and said he thought he saw emergency vehicle lighting in the car... which contradicts his previous statement about being able to see in because tint was too dark.... I called him on that too, and motioned the court to dismiss the testimony of the officer because it was clear he wasn't a reliable witness... Judge agreed and tossed the case.... after admonishing the officer for pulling people over for no reason.. Never saw a cop so pissed in my life... Still pissed that the guy basically lied under oath, got caught, and nothing happened to him...

BUT.. That was in a VERY blue state with VERY statist tendencies...

Since then, I've moved to the west coast, and despite still technically being a blue state, only the major cities are, and the cops out here for the most part are really down to earth and nice people.. They're often seen changing tires on the side of the road as often as they're seen giving out tickets... real nice people... This compared to the cops on the east coast who'd write you a ticket for blocking traffic or stopping in a no stopping area if you blew a tire or had a mechanical breakdown.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My $.02. You don't screw with the law EVEN IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE RIGHT. I work for law enforcement. I have been pulled over. I am always respectful, keep my hands on the wheel, ask permission before making moves in the car (e.g., my registration is in my glove box...may I take it out...no sudden movements...no sass). My LE affiliation helps, but they don't know that until we are well into our conversation. It has worked OK for me in the past. I know the stress that these guys and gals are under. Are there bad apples? Sure. There are bad apples on this list. There are bad apples at the local car dealership. Unfortunately, the LE background check does not reveal all of the bad apples. For that, law enforcement agencies rely on complaints (after the fact) and other early warning systems. Let that work the way it should, and try to come home alive and in one piece. LEOs have a lot of legal authority to create serious problems for you...physical and otherwise. Try to make the situation go as smoothly as possible.

I am not slamming the OP...nor any other posters. To each his or her own. I am just offering my perspective.
LOL. One of the reasons I moved away from Marylindistan AKA People's Republik of Maryland...

I've had 2 traffic stops that lasted about 30 seconds... not even kidding.... didn't even need to produce DL/REG/INS.. they've already run that...they know what's up...One I was speeding because I wasn't paying attention, and a 'slow down' was enough, and another it was snowing balls and I had an amber arrowstick in a warning pattern pic for reference, you can see it in the back glass towards the roofline...

...and the cop asked if I was plowing or anything.. Told him nope, I was driving slow because of the conditions, and didn't want some dumbass to rear end me.. He chuckled a bit, I told him I lived about 2 blocks away, and he told me to have a good night...

Lot different attitude on the west coast vs east coast... Lemme tell you...

someoldmoose

If there is a next time, keep your smart mouth shut. If your reg. was not DISPLAYED then any L E O in the land has cause to stop you. He / she probably just wanted to look at your ride. You yourself said he was polite. What he asked is a programmed question as you apparently are aware. Your smart-ass response to the very first question shot that straight to ****. Next time just say "Good day Officer. No, I am not aware why you stopped me ( or even a simpler No sir )". Your "because I let you" sank your own ship. Be glad it only cost you half an hour, it could have been much more. I still would have cited you and perhaps seen you again in court.

Action

Now, a LEO could think the Humvee is stolen if a civilian is driving IF the driver has left or painted real unit markings on it. I don't have any on mine.

Another Ahab

If there is a next time, keep your smart mouth shut. If your reg. was not DISPLAYED then any L E O in the land has cause to stop you. He / she probably just wanted to look at your ride. You yourself said he was polite. What he asked is a programmed question as you apparently are aware. Your smart-ass response to the very first question shot that straight to ****. Next time just say "Good day Officer. No, I am not aware why you stopped me ( or even a simpler No sir )". Your "because I let you" sank your own ship. Be glad it only cost you half an hour, it could have been much more. I still would have cited you and perhaps seen you again in court.
It's fairly predictable, but if you mouth off like a smart-ass to an LEO, it's just NOT ever likely to work to your advantage.

Whether or not you're in the right. Like it or not, it's kind of predictable, anywhere in the world I would bet.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still would have cited you and perhaps seen you again in court.
'I'd give you a ticket anyway'... You wanna play the 'you might beat the rap, but not the ride' game? LOL...

....and you're the problem.....

He did nothing illegal, yet you'd cite him and drag him to court despite a lack of infraction having occurred... Do you realize that a statement like that could put into question EVERY traffic stop you've ever made? I've seen cops' careers ruined for less...
'

I say this in all sincerity, given the attitude of a lot of crooked/corrupt cops that want to rely on their position to cover their ass with 'following dep't policy' and 'qualified immunity'.... People are getting fed up with corrupt cops.... 'Qualified immunity' won't protect you from 9mm ....when you push the wrong person too far in your quest to show your superiority or 'teach someone a lesson', in violation of law.. There's a reason why the law enforcement community in general is losing face, and if you look in the mirror, I'd bet you'd find out why...

But of course, I don't think you're LE, just a blowhard saying 'well, I would...... '

:beer:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now, a LEO could think the Humvee is stolen if a civilian is driving IF the driver has left or painted real unit markings on it. I don't have any on mine.
Still not PC....

There needs to be an articulated reason as to why he thinks it's stolen, Ie a report from a local base saying one was stolen...

Civvys drive .mil vehicles all the time.....

F18hornetM

LOL. One of the reasons I moved away from Marylindistan AKA People's Republik of Maryland...

I've had 2 traffic stops that lasted about 30 seconds... not even kidding.... didn't even need to produce DL/REG/INS.. they've already run that...they know what's up...One I was speeding because I wasn't paying attention, and a 'slow down' was enough, and another it was snowing balls and I had an amber arrowstick in a warning pattern pic for reference, you can see it in the back glass towards the roofline...

...and the cop asked if I was plowing or anything.. Told him nope, I was driving slow because of the conditions, and didn't want some dumbass to rear end me.. He chuckled a bit, I told him I lived about 2 blocks away, and he told me to have a good night...

Lot different attitude on the west coast vs east coast... Lemme tell you...
I'm not sure where in Maryland you lived or are from, probably the other side of the Bay. but where I live never had an issue at all with any Law enforcement officer. I grew up here but I've also lived on west coast for awhile. If you dont act stupid and obey the laws I dont think you'll have much issue with any of them. I'm not sure why people seem proud to be ignorant or smart ass to others. it buys you nothing just make you look like an ass to the rest of us. Maybe makes them feel smart or important I dont know.

F18hornetM

I'm done with this one to, its just a lot of look how tough i am standing up to a law enforcement officer. Funny, for what I've read , the original poster was speeding duh!

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure where in Maryland you lived or are from, probably the other side of the Bay.
Yup. I got extensive family in Crisfield/Ewell... COMPLETELY different attitudes than monkey county (Montgomery County) or PG county.. :D

Frederick county, PG, Montgomery, most of Howard, and now even half of Charles are pretty much DC-lite... Sad really...

Like I said, LE out here are mostly good people, but I experienced nothing but problems in DC suburbs.. Even had a friend who was ARRESTED for having a prescription for her dog in her purse, which was labelled 'Fluffy (last name)'..... The cops were GRILLING her on who is fluffy and why did she have that bottle of antibiotics and all sorts of shtuff...ended up arresting her for being in possession of a prescription medicine without a prescription... for her DOGS prescription... Yeah, it was insane...

But anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread... :D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed it for you....

The inhabitants act like monkeys... flinging poo and making messes that no one wants to take responsibility for...
No need to talk cr** about the citizens or LEOs in Montgomery County. I don't work for the department, although I live in the county. It is a very well respected law enforcement agency...NATIONALLY and LOCALLY. I have done quite a bit of work with the department over the last 15 or so years, and I happen to know dozens of sworn members personally (from the Officer-level all the way up to multiple Assistant Chiefs). I am sure there are jerks as there are in all walks of life. But, the department is professional and well run from what I have seen from both the inside and outside. I am unsure even what you mean by "monkeys" or "flinging poo." Sounds like you have nothing constructive to add to this conversation.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to talk cr** about the citizens or LEOs in Montgomery County. I don't work for the department, although I live in the county. It is a very well respected law enforcement agency...NATIONALLY and LOCALLY. I have done quite a bit of work with the department over the last 15 or so years, and I happen to know dozens of sworn members personally (from the Officer-level all the way up to multiple Assistant Chiefs). I am sure there are jerks as there are in all walks of life. But, the department is professional and well run from what I have seen from both the inside and outside. I am unsure even what you mean by "monkeys" or "flinging poo." Sounds like you have nothing constructive to add to this conversation.
I'm more intimately familiar with both MCPD and PGPD than I'm willing to publicly admit, hahahah.....AND MCDFRS for that matter.... Let's just say front seat experience, not back seat.....Most officers are good, but it seems that the higher the population density the higher likelihood of running into a #&%# cop...

I agree about one thing though, we should stick to truck talk instead of local politics... My fault. :D

:tank:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still not PC....

There needs to be an articulated reason as to why he thinks it's stolen, Ie a report from a local base saying one was stolen...

Civvys drive .mil vehicles all the time.....
Probable cause is not needed for a stop. Reasonable suspicion is though. Would a reasonable person think that an obvious looking MV with markings that support this, think that the long haired driver might have taken it? We, as collectors, are often asked and queried about our vehicles. Without a tag displayed, I think that is reasonable. As Abe Lincoln once said, it's better to be silent and thought a fool rather than speak and remove all doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks