• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer accomplishments for 2/19

hwcurtice

1. LEDs installed
2. Trailer rewired to plug into civilian truck, WITHOUT destroying trailer connector.
3. New hitch plate installed. Leveled the trailer up for easier pulling. No more rear up look on trailer.

Needs: new bulb for license plate light. I think I broke it when I was installing it and it fell... I'll find out when I replace it.
Replacing safety chains as the original is too short to reach the truck now.

rufingit

Nice work. Just acquired an M116A2E1 the other day. Now waiting for an approved EUC before I pick it up at Ft Hood, TX. Anyway, appears you found another Mil female receptacle that your able to rewire and then bolt onto your receiver. Great idea. Where did you find the receptacle? Would like to take the same approach with my trailer. Also, what size are the tires on your trailer? Would at least like to have a built-up spare when pick mine up.

hwcurtice

I got the receptacle from Eastern Surplus & Equipment off of a CUCV they were parting out.

Not truly sure about the tire size. I would think any 16" 8 lug GM tire would fit.
It is now dark and I couldn't tell you ATM.

I'm sure you can search for it on the forum.

wsucougarx

Great work Harold!! I've got the exact same pintle and pintle adapter on my truck. Used it to pull my 7200 lb MEP-006A home with my 3/4 Ton Dodge Cummins from JBLM. I used a piece of 40,000 lb chain wrapped around the tow bracket to hook the safety chains upto. This whole hauling and backing a trailer thing is new to me. Still in the learning curve[thumbzup]

hwcurtice

I'm trying to figure out how to connect new chain to trailer so it'll reach. WHen I found that the chain wouldn't reach anymore, I wrapped the chain I had bought, in case the chain was too short around the existing chain and connected to teh truck that way. Not very pretty, but....

I notice that the chain is connected to the trailer by a piece of metal that is bolted to the trailer. So, without a handy way to cut it off and attach new chain....

What to do?

Oh, and the wife, AKA SWMBO, says I need to paint whatever chain I use to match the trailer.

Gotta love her! :smile:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We put the LEDs on what's been dubbed - the world's heaviest tent aka M105. The right side was much dimmer than the left. Cleaned up the ground connection and double checked all the wire numbers.

Finally I unplugged the trailer and replugged it with a little more effort. Works great now.

hwcurtice

I should have taken a picture of when the plug was connected, but does it only connect one way?

Why do you ask? Well, I was going to finally get to working on the plate light, ie, replace the bulb for starters, and I plugged the trailer in and the only thing that seemed to work were the emergency flashers. :confused:

I know they all worked before right up to when I brought it home, but now.... aua

And of course, not it's raining and I really dislike working on things in the rain.
Bring on the Sun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks