• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer bed recovery or Icing conditions may exist

jollyroger

We left for Kansas on the 21st. It was decent weather. Cold but sunny and clear. The 22nd and the trip home was a totally different story.

Attachments

jollyroger

More pics of the trip home. Arround Ellis, Kansas there is a big wind generation farm and we could not see any of the wind mills other than the bases and a blade moving moving out of the mist down toward the ground and back up into the soup. That was freaky. Before Colby, Kansas it started to get really foggy. The celing dropped right down to the pavement and we could see ice on the truck mirros, radio antenna and the front of the M-105 beds. Then by Burlington, CO 50 miles West the celing had lifted and I thought we were home free and missed the black ice on the road. By Limon, CO I thought I could see breaks in the clouds and light spots from the sunset. I decided to take a shortcut off of the interstate on a rural two lane road. About 15 miles down Hwy 86 it started snowing like crazy. About 10 miles after that a car went off in the borrow pit along the road. Two trucks stopped to help. I drove by real slow and saw nothing in the ditch. No headlights, no car, nothing. The guys that stopped were searching the ditch with flashlights. More traffic was comming so I just moved on. I still don't know what happened. By the time we started climbing out of Bijou Creek toward Kiowa all the commuter traffic was coming home. The road was totally covered with snow and ice. I was down to 30 MPH at that point. People were sliding all over the place. I lost traction climbing the hill out of the creek and almost went into the borrow pit myself. Then 15 miles down the road it cleared up and was like nothing had happened. A half hour after we got back to the farm it started snowing here. We made it just in time.

Attachments

jollyroger

All things considered it was not bad. It can always be worse. Just the weather was questionable. It was not a full on ice storm or anything. I have been through those as I am sure you have been too. Mechanically everything went well other than the fuel mileage. We were catching a headwind all the way from Ft. Riley to Burlington. It was a good beginner recovery from Ft. Riley. I plan on buying some trucks out of there if they ever go up for auction again so we wanted to become familiar before we had to haul the big iron.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks