• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer frame repair / pulling???

oddave715

So I picked up a nice "looking" M101A3 from LeJuene. Darn thing has had a forklift ram into the frame right at the rear spring hanger and has bent the frame over an 1" or 2". It pushed the other side frame rail over a little as well. My first attempt to fix was chain it to a tree an hook my winch to the most damaged area and attempt to pull. Well that was unsuccessful. Winch drug my Cherokee. I don't think a ports power is gonna work due to both rails being bent. I am thinking thatif I am going to resurrect this frame Ithat I may have to take it to have the frame pulled. Any advice on getting the frame pulled? Expected cost to have that done?

Thanks

David

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one that had frame damage.

The frame was very brittle and tore/craacked/broke, when pulled.

I would replace it.

With no box attached, the frame is very "movable".

Jeepsinker

Chain it to a tree about 1' from the bend on either side, then hook the pull chain right at the bend and pull with a larger vehicle like a deuce if you have one available.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was very bad.

I attempted to simply make it movable in the yard for storage.

Every single weld tore on mine.

wdbtchr

I've straightened several bent frames and my favorite tool is two trees. I've used two chainblocks pulling from opposite directions to do amazing things even correcting out of square bends with a 10 ton porta-power from Harbor Freight. But then I have a lot of big oak trees in my neck of the woods. I also have a BFH(big freaking 12# hammer) for fine tuning.

Last edited:

oddave715

I am going to try to hook to it with my 3/4 ton suburban today and see if that works. It's already chained to a tree. And the sledgehammer may get brought out if needed. Torch will definitely be needed for final adjustments at a minimum. Where the fork hit it there is a significant dent that pulling is not going to remove all of.

oddave715

Hooked the suburban to it yesterday. So far it's starting to come out. I need to pull the chains off so I can run my string down the side and see where I am at. I may need to move my chains in a little closer to the major part of the bend. As you get away from that part the bend was more gradual. Once I evaluate where it's at I will pull again. I took some real hard jerks to get it where it's at. So far no welds tearing like Dogheads trailer did. I am thinking that I may weld some braces inside the frame at the rear spring mounts as that is where must of the bend is and the metal is stretched and fatigued there.

DrillerSurplus

It is generally not a good idea to weld on frames- welding can create a stress point that causes it to crack. Haven't seen any photos, but are you sure frame even needs reinforcement? If it does, bolting something in would be better.

oddave715

The frames are welded together. Are these frames heat treated?? It is just a small simple trailer if you think about it. Most commercial trailers are much bigger & longer and are just mild steal welded up with no heat treatment.

I haven't decided for sure if I will do any bracing. Gonna wait until I get the rest of the damage repair work done and then decide. It's coming out really well. It has taken some pretty good jerks though. Broke two straps. I am using them to prevent tree damage and prevent damage to the shackle tie down bracket. I'll try to get some pics of the setup today. I was really unsure of how to do this and watched a lot of frame pulling videos on YouTube and looked at tons of pics. So far I am very pleased with the results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks