• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer it ... what trailer?

chickendumpling

What trailer types are folks using to pick these HMMWV up? The weight being spec'd at GP is 7,700lbs.

Will a U-Haul work? (http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=193844)

I have the following trailer available:

"Empty the trailer weighs just over 1950 lbs add the spare tire and likely 2000 lbs. The axles are rated at 3500 lbs. each. So the very max would likely be around 7000 lbs for GVWR. Then I believe you subtract the weight of trailer 2000 lbs. Which leaves around 5000 lbs. for total weight to load on. My GMC pickup weighs about 5225 which would be about the max the trailer is rated to haul."

Last edited:

DatGuyC

I had mine picked up by a rollback tow truck. I have used the Uhaul trailer and it just barely fit and I wouldn't take it long distances. Make sure you get the uhaul like in the picture, they have an older version with a red steel frame that is smaller and the truck wont fit.

chickendumpling

Thanks... This has me second guessing getting one now. Being off-road only, it has to be trailered to ORV parks etc. So, what are folks doing to move these around?

I did do some searches, but I'm not turning up much... Need some examples of what is recommended. I would absolutely regret not having a safe setup ... If it requires a full-size truck and a gooseneck trailer ... ouch. May be the end of the line for getting one due to expense. I really enjoyed M998 while in the SD NG in the 90's.

dilvoy

I have a Load Trail Trailer to haul my Humvees. 20" deck over with two 7K axles. It is built to be a 14,000 trailer, but is de-rated with the weight sticker, which is OK to do in CA. down to 9,080 lbs. Hauls great. Cost me $6,000. A bit high for low street cars to get them over the rear edge of the deck, but i have managed with planks at the base of the ramps and on the deck and haven't messed anything up yet, plus with a snatch block, my winch can easily load and unload Humvees.

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/M997hmmwv_1202.JPG

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

The weight of a m998 is 5200-5300 lbs, a Uhaul 7500 lb GCWR trailer will be able to handle the width and weight of a M998. Done it many times. When Uhaul asks what kind of vehicle just tell them its a jeep

I used the Uhaul trailers from LA to Tucson, El Paso to Tucson, and Barstow to Tucson, absolutely zero issues and like I said its within the weight of rating of the trailer.

Gunzy

Telling U-Haul a jeep when hauling a HMMWV can cause you serious trouble if you have ANY problems even as small as a flat tire. There is a reason they ask what you are hauling.

tage

^^ +1

If you search local equipment rentals, and even trailer sales. They'll let you rent the right trailer, however, they do often require at least a half ton towing vehicle.

chickendumpling

The weight of a m998 is 5200-5300 lbs, a Uhaul 7500 lb GCWR trailer will be able to handle the width and weight of a M998. Done it many times. When Uhaul asks what kind of vehicle just tell them its a jeep

I used the Uhaul trailers from LA to Tucson, El Paso to Tucson, and Barstow to Tucson, absolutely zero issues and like I said its within the weight of rating of the trailer.
Sorry - I rarely tow much ... let alone trailer, after visiting with another past service member ... he questioned my weight. Curb weight is the number ... and that is inline with the comment... Thanks everyone for helping out the new guy. That makes this a workable endeavor.

Blackmagic94

The only reason you give them a jeep is because they don't have M998 in there system. My insurance company covers what ever I tow, I don't use Uhauls insurance. They are aware of what I am towing and put it in as a jeep as well.

Again I have done this exact thing almost a dozen times now without any issues from Uhaul.

Mike82ndABN

May I ask about the preferred method of strapping/securing the truck to the uhaul trailer? i.e. straps, chains? From the shackles on the front and rear to what parts of the uhaul? Just curious because I am recovering a truck later this month.

Thanks in advance.

TucsonVTXF

did the same to the back with 5000 lb aircraft straps to the lower A arms in a X pattern there are D rings on the back to tie too

Expendable

How come you strapped to the A-Arms instead of the loops attached to the frame (near where the Upper A arms attach)?

TucsonVTXF

all ways tie off to any frame locations that are below the springs because if you tie off above the springs it can and will break chains, straps etc or come loose due to the action of the springs on a bumpy road...

Expendable

Oh i see. heaviest vehicle I've transported is a sport Quad and I've always strapped to frame above springs. but totally different situation compared to a car/truck.

Thanks for answering my question!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks