• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer lights

CaptainRPM

i picked up a new trailer but ofcourse the lights are 12 volt witch is fine i use this trailer with my motorhome and want to use it with my 5 ton also i dont want to change the lights to 24 volt tho any info would help

thanx

rmgill

Only way to control the brakes is to add a 12 volt system to your truck and run a pair of wires for the trailer's power. Now, nice thing is that the 5 tons have a 24 volt power lead on the trailer harness so you can run that as a 24 volt power feed to run accessories on the trailer (like standard interior lighting or a 24 volt to 12 volt power converter to charge batteries).

My Deuce is setup to tow a trailer with electric brakes. I have a 24-12 volt converter on the firewall on the cab with powering a Tekonsha Prodigy electric brake controller. It's a true inertia type unit (not a pendulum type) so it's more reliable with the bouncy nature of the deuce. Bear in mind that you HAVE to run a 12 volt brake line and a ground return back to the brake controller for a low impedance ground, and you need 12 - 10 gauge for wiring to handle the high current even though it's intermittent. If you run a 12 volt lead to the trailer as well, you can then power a breakaway kit per DOT rules. Just setup a second trailer connector with a 12 volt Brake lead, 12 volt power and 12 volt brake ground and run the wires to the cab where you add your 12 volt adaptor. That also allows you to run 12 volt accessories in the cab like a GPS and other stuff.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An easy way to use your existing electric brakes is to accurately measure the DC resistance of the system on the trailer, and add just that amount again in series (This is usually the blue wire in a commercial harness) by using a resistor with a 200-Watt rating.

You will then be able to use a generic mechanical cab controller and keep things OK with 24-Volt systems. The same trick will work for the lights as well, and you can usually use 100-Watt resistors on the lighting circuits. Do the measurements and add resistance. I built a box for the resistorsfor use with my car trailer with the NATO 12-pin plug on one side and a commercial 7-wire trailer plug on the other. Just use one of the vacant pins on your NATO trailer connector for the brake control circuit.

dg