• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer load

Hello from Germany,
I have a problem with the German authorities. The trailer load must be entered in the papers for my CUCV m1008. It used to be no problem. Unfortunately the laws in Germany are getting crazier and crazier. In order to have this registered, I need an official confirmation with my VIN from GM for which trailer load the CUCV m1008 is designed.
Can someone tell me where you can get something like this from. Unfortunately, GM Europe was not helpful as it is an ex-military vehicle.
Greetings from Germany

cucvrus

Hello from Germany,
I have a problem with the German authorities. The trailer load must be entered in the papers for my CUCV m1008. It used to be no problem. Unfortunately the laws in Germany are getting crazier and crazier. In order to have this registered, I need an official confirmation with my VIN from GM for which trailer load the CUCV m1008 is designed.
Can someone tell me where you can get something like this from. Unfortunately, GM Europe was not helpful as it is an ex-military vehicle.
Greetings from Germany
2500 lbs

Ok two sides to look at this. First off the TM says the m1008 was designed to transport a m101a2 trailer which weights approx. 1500lbs with a payload of 2500 lbs.Oct 11, 2010

Why not get a Class III receiver that is frame mounted with it's own certified weight rating? Good Luck either way you go.

2500 lbs

Ok two sides to look at this. First off the TM says the m1008 was designed to transport a m101a2 trailer which weights approx. 1500lbs with a payload of 2500 lbs.Oct 11, 2010

Why not get a Class III receiver that is frame mounted with it's own certified weight rating? Good Luck either way you go.
Ok, can you tell me where to find this TM?
In Germany it is a little more complicated, here a distinction is made between trailers with brakes and without brakes.
It is of course crucial what type of trailer hitch is attached.
Basically, the maximum trailer load for vehicles is entered based on the construction, weight, brakes, etc. specified by the manufacturer. The trailer coupling is then selected according to the maximum weight (trailer + load) of the car.
That is why it is crucial what the manufacturer of the vehicle says.
Without that, you can attach any towbar you want. But you are not allowed to drive it on public roads.

Hello Guy,
thank you very much, but I think for the beginning I understood the system with the weights. In another thread someone asked about the towing capacity total. There it was said that the full size truck can pull 6500 pounds, in the military TM.
"you can tow a full size truck (6K) no problem with just about any full size truck. The military rating is 6500 pounds." It was posted by Westech in 2010.
Do you know where it says that?
I need as much info as possible to convince the inspector.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know over here in the Netherlands some people where able to "up" their rating by showing copies of other peoples papers who did recieve (higher) ratings before. There are multiple forums where people ask and others help out. Maybe you can find some German USA truck forums and ask there? Would that be an option?

I can get you copies of multiple Dutch registered CUCV papers if it'd help. At least 2, maybe 4. Mine is allowed to tow 2722 Kg.

Btw., over here it is possible to have the authorities test your vehicle on a specialized test track and adjust ratings accordingly. I'd bet it's possible in Germany as well... They'll test how it pulls/stops under certain loads and how it holds on a hill, etc.

Last edited:
I know over here in the Netherlands some people where able to "up" their rating by showing copies of other peoples papers who did recieve (higher) ratings before. There are multiple forums where people ask and others help out. Maybe you can find some German USA truck forums and ask there? Would that be an option?

I can get you copies of multiple Dutch registered CUCV papers if it'd help. At least 2, maybe 4. Mine is allowed to tow 2722 Kg.

Btw., over here it is possible to have the authorities test your vehicle on a specialized test track and adjust ratings accordingly. I'd bet it's possible in Germany as well... They'll test how it pulls/stops under certain loads and how it holds on a hill, etc.
Hello,
that's how it was until now, with the old inspector, but now the young inspector have really gone completely crazy and no longer accept that. they are really scared. Only original papers with the correct VIN are still accepted.
I have here from the German forums many papers where everything is registered, even a confirmation of Opel with a VIN of another K30 ex military, was yes once with GM together. Even that he does not recognize. Only if the letter from GM would be with my VIN then that would be OK.
Here in Germany you get almost nothing more legally registered. They are totally crazy.
That with the testing is also possible, just can not pay.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely try a different inspector. Preferably at a different branch. I've imported a couple of cars and registered a couple of trailers before. The branch closest to me has a real pain in the butt inspector and the inspector at the 2nd closest branch was more helpful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks