• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer mod advice

TaylorTradingCo

Ok, I know I asked and most of you advised against it, but I bought this trailer. In it's current form, it leaves a lot to be desired, but I think it has the potential to be my new favorite trailer with a few changes.
It has no suspension at all, zero, zip, none. I want to add a set of springs under it, on the cheap. I am leaning towards the axle/suspension off of a 28' pup trailer, but am a little worried it might be just as stiff as solid. Also might consider a set of springs off of a truck, like a F650 or dump truck or something like that.
Suggestions and parts are welcome.
Derek

Attachments

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks scary. Ditch the whole axle and replace it while doing the suspension, or leave bad enough alone and consider it a life lesson...

TaylorTradingCo

I do plan to replace the axle with the one that goes with whatever suspension kit I put under it. I like the trailer, just want to make it the way I want it.

TaylorTradingCo

Nothing in particular planned, I like it's versatility. Tilt deck for easy drive on, no ramps or fender wells to worry about. Nice 8' wide deck, so can haul two pallets side by side if necessary. Single axle, so easy to turn without side dragging tires.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that manufactured home companies sometimes remove and stock pile axle assemblies after a home is placed. Sorry, it's not a strong lead, but it may be something worth exploring.

Rick

tobyS

Use the rear axle and suspension and frame, tires and wheels from a one ton dually (rear clip). They tow great and you could add a surge brake.

TaylorTradingCo

It does have 15" wheels, but the tires are F rated 900-15's. He said they were for a cowboy flatbed and cost $1K. They are super heavy duty and stiff like they were full of concrete.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks