• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Mounted Woodshop

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've recently acquired a trailer mounted woodshop. I'll be retrieving soon. It's got a massive radial arm saw in the back, as well as a bunch of other tools in toolboxes.

Aside from this, I know nothing about these trailers. Does anyone have any info? I don't even know the model number (M?) or if there are technical manuals for it, etc. I have no idea how it's supposed to look, or operate. The saw is absolutely massive and must weigh in excess of 250 lbs.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I'm desperate.

Poor pics attached.

Regards,

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a standard 105 trailer and someone threw a radial arm saw into it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't know if that is indeed a specific trailer mounted woodshop, but that isn't a standard M105……..

Check out the hydraulic (bottle) jack mounted on the right rear section……. That is for the tailgate, which is actually a lift deck (like a tommy lift on a pickup). To clear the scissors assy., the standard M105 rear landing leg is moved, you can see it in the same picture as the hydraulic ram…..

I can't remember if these have their own M-series #, but I have heard them referred to as "engineer's trailers" or something similar.

Wayne Harris (papercu) has one on his photo page…..

They are pretty cool, I'd like to have one.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, yeah, it is just a M105 trailer, but the saw is supposed to slide out on tracks mounted to the bed and tailgate. The tailgate folds down via a hydraulic pump. The tailgate is much larger than a regular tailgate and has stands. There are mounted toolboxes inside, etc. I don't have pictures of the underside of the tailgate which would show the lowering mechanism.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the folks in New Jersey area had a restored one. Randy Emr will know who it was, the name escapes me!

citizensoldier

Being a trailer ho I picked one of these up. I dont have it home yet but it looks very handy with that lift type thing on the back.. Has anyone operated this? Do they go to the ground? That saw will come in handy for me cutting log rips and pallet halves to feed my evaporator..

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thing was a nightmare with GL. When previewed, GL rep on-site showed me two other pallets of tools that go with the lot. On the pallets were two additional and identical DeWalt 16" saws. Plus a bunch of other tools. I had a buddy along who was a witness as to what was said. GL site rep indicated there were no pictures of it on-line, but the other tools were definitely part of the lot. So some of us bid accordingly.

Went to load out, GL site rep said, "oh, man, um, I was wrong. The other saws don't go with it." So went the round with GL, made a claim, etc. Initially I thought they were going to work with me, but in the end, no. Anyway, instead of persuing further, I've decided, after a bit of research about the saw, that I'll keep it short term to determine if I'll have a use, or sell it. Replacement saws (new) cost about 5-6k for a 16" blade and higher horse motor. I guess the old B&D Dewalt radial arm saws are worth something. Like a couple of grand in good condition. 1k in rough shape that needs restored. And apparently there are people out there restoring these. I even found parts suppliers for these old saws. I'll dig up the link and post.

However, I still dont' have info on where, how, what, etc. they were used for. I'd like to see how one was set up. Apparently they were part of the Army Corps of Engineers. I have a lot of contacts with them, so I am going to try to get some info. I'll post if I find anything. DDoyle has a restored one I am told. Maybe he can chime in. Maybe even post pictures.

It's actually a really cool trailer. I was just hoping for everything that I was told was in my lot. Lane, I think the saw could rip a house in half. So you should be good. I think you got a great deal based on similar saws selling in the woodworkers world.

citizensoldier

1917 said:
now i know who was bidding against me on that one.
That one? What one you talking about? A GL trailer?
I have seen some of these sell in Cali.. Some have a generator for running the saw mounted on them.. I would like to see DDoyles for referance..We sure need a book on military trailers out there! hint hint...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
My dad has a trailer with left gate, no saw. What you have is definately a bit of Corps of Engineers equipment. The Corps does not assign "M-numbers" to their gear......so you won't find anything that way.

I'll try to look into this next time I am at Ft. Leonard Wood. In the meantime, I'd suggest searching LOGSA for TM5 volumes including the word trailer.

Trying to assess any wind damage here - and still have two books to finish by the 15th....can try to find something for you after then.

Regards,
David

MB4/94

I have had one of these trailer for several years .All the wood working equipment was removed from mine , but the lift gate works great. The power lift tail gate goes all the way to the ground.I don't know what it's rated for, but it will easily lift 1000 lbs. If anyone is interested in buying mine let me know. Located in central Pa . This trailer comes with a good Pa title.

art

I have one in NJ
It's a very nice trailer.

For sale
M105a2 1 ½ ton – Wood Working Shop Equip.
MANUFACTURE: Municipal Supply Co.
YEAR: 19June1967 (overhauled 8/79) rustproofed 1982
15” Delta Radial Arm Saw - Elec. 220v 3ph 15A
1500 lb. Military installed Anthony Hydraulic Liftgate with adj. Support legs
Military installed Fender Well Tool Boxes - 2 each
Roller Conveyer – steel
Cargo Cover – Vinyl
A1 Condition - Repainted OD ~ no rust!
Titled and NJ registered

Attachments

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Art,

Thanks for the pics. This is exactly what I needed. Mine is a bit different and the saw is bigger.

I'm recovering three trucks and the woodshop trailer next week, so I'll post pics. It's definitely not in that shape.

I'm not sure as for value. I know the saws are sought after to restore if needed, or use if good enough. Question is whether the trailer increases or decreases value.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long does it take to get the lift gate up and down? I know it has a 2 stroke bottle jack looking pump but have always wondered about the time. If it goes up at the same rate as a bottle jack, one would be at it for a while.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was thinking the same thing. I'll let you know once I recover. I have heard there were several ways of raising the gate. Some had a hand hydraulic pump where others had an electic hydraulic pump/jack.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks