• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer mounting MEP-831 and MEP-003 together

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone mounted both a MEP-831 and MEP-003 on a M116A2?

Having both on there plus the electric cable and breakout box should still be under the GVWR of 3160lbs.

1800 Diesel

Chris,

Wouldn't you have to land them "cross-ways" on either side of the fenders--one on the forward area & other in the rear? Though the total weight may be ok in terms of GVW, it seems like the center part of the trailer frame would be under a pretty good bending load. In shipbuilding we would call it a "hogging load", but then again these things are well built so maybe it would be fine. At worst, you might have to install a couple 4x6s the length of the trailer right inside the fender well edge (or to match the mounting bolt centers)--this would help a little with weight distribution.

Kevin

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that is how they do it with a pair of the smaller units. I don't want to do that with the 003 for the exact reason you mention. I'm going to take some measurement and do a bit of calculation to see if its reasonable.

1800 Diesel

Chris,

If you have access to Autocad you could do a few layouts to see what works best. Or do it the old way-- cut out a scaled-down mock-up of the trailer from cardboard & do the same for the two gensets' footprints and start arranging the two pieces.... :) Maybe one sideways & the other fore-and-aft...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a good idea. I can use Visio to lay it out. Some rough measurements suggest that the length of the two will be a little too much. I may end up buying a basic utility trailer to mount the 831.

1800 Diesel

Thats a good idea. I can use Visio to lay it out. Some rough measurements suggest that the length of the two will be a little too much. I may end up buying a basic utility trailer to mount the 831.
You can always use an M101 for mounting one of them. Is there a reason you need both on the same trailer? (besides the obvious to only have to buy one trailer)... just curious.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the MEP003 mounted on a M116 now. After doing some measurements I'm thinking about adding rails to the front of the trailer to hold the MEP831 and sliding the MEP003 back enough rebalance the weight. It looks like if I bring the MEP831 forward about 12" that I'll have room between the machines for service. The MEP003 has an ASK so I want to leave room if I need to pull the front cover for any service.

I am using the MEP003 as a local rental for power on film sets. It would be good to have both generators on the same trailer so I could have a bit more power available and/or run the generator that best fits the load of the day. I planned to sell the 831 after fixing it up but after playing around with it I'm going to keep it. Hopefully the wife will understand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks