• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer plug adapter

blzrgb

Sorry to be bringing up an old topic, but after searching I'm still no closer to the answer.
A while back there was someone on here who was selling an adapter for 1008's and 1009's to be able to use the military trailer connector in the bumper and a flat connnector on the trailer. Any help and/or a link would be sweet. Thanks, Greg.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can go to any trailer supply and get a trailer plug adaptor for a 86 chevy tuck. It is TEE shaped and plugs into the harness by the drivers side then original harness plugs into the other side of the TEE. At the bottom of the tee, the trailer wires and plug come out and will reach past the bumper. I got mine at wal-mart.

jimm1009

As mentioned above you can go and get a civy adapter for the 4-pin plug or you can purchase the MILITARY connector and either install a 4-pin plug in it your self or purchase it already modified from a couple of vendors.

OD Iron has one on the site listed below.
OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories

or you can purchase the MS75020-1 from a couple of other vendors and do it your self if you can solder. The pins are not crimpable you have to solder them in order to connect the wires. It takes a little time but it depends on what you want and how much you have to spend.
Saturn has it here;

Erik's has it here;
Search

Good luck,

jimm1009

Midnight Rider

You can go to any trailer supply and get a trailer plug adaptor for a 86 chevy tuck. It is TEE shaped and plugs into the harness by the drivers side then original harness plugs into the other side of the TEE. At the bottom of the tee, the trailer wires and plug come out and will reach past the bumper. I got mine at wal-mart.
You'll want the 1984 or older model plug. Not the 85 or newer. The CUCV uses the 84 round plug. The 85 and newer plugs are square.

Edit: I think I found the thread you were looking for:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/38891-cucv-trailer-wiring.html

http://www.odiron.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=665

Last edited:

deucebigalo

I suggest you make up an adapter like the one that EMMADO22 posted about, I have a setup like that and it has yet to fail me. Cheap and easy and you dont have to hack away at any of the truck or trailer's wiring harness.

Good Luck! :grd:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really don't know much about the CUCV but would guess if you are using the milt trailer plug it is 24V.

Nope. 12 volt output on the cucv trailer plug. If you guys searched or even read the threads that others took time to post, you would know this!

As I have said before, If your not sure of the facts or have the firsthand experience, don't post a guess and confuse others with misinformation.

Napoleon_Tanerite

hovenga67

I unplugged where the military plug on the rear feeds off of, it is 2-2 prong connectors. One has the left turn and taillights and the other has the right turn. I cut the ends off the military side so I had the weather pack connectors and spliced in my trailer light connector. Hope this helps. I can get some pics tomorrow if you need.
Brent

Lex_Ordo

Spend the money and you will never need to worry again.

The manufacturer of the 12 pin military socket is BarCar, in Illinois. The socket is only available with the square yellow zinc mounting plate. Order the plug with the 7 or 4 wire leads necessary to accomodate your trailer connection needs. Unless you want to use some old beaten up 'cut off' from a junk truck and cut off the non-required leads. I have attached a color chart to show where the leads wire up to the plugs.

Originally I had a Hummer with a 7 pin RV style round connection, so I spliced in a 7 pin plug to the BarCar 12 pin socket. Wrapped up the wires and now have a functional adapter that requires no changes to either the tow vehicle or the trailer.
Now I am purchasing a Jeep Wrangler, and had to make another to accomodate the Jeep's 4 pin socket.

The new socket will run you $65, shipped. then buy the 4 or 7 pin plugs. They're like 3 or 4 bucks. 15 minutes worth of splicing and you're done.
OD Iron sells the reverse adapter, so you can plug the adapter into a military vehicle and tow a civvy trailer.

Make it yourself or pay someone to order the parts and make it for you. They are going to be around $90, to have one made. But who said that collecting military vehicles was a cheap hobby?

Attachments

moose53

I took a standard flat four plug/cable and a used MV trailer socket and made my own adapter for less than $20.00. Its easier with a used MV socket because it will have the wires on it. Identify the correct wires and clip off the rest. Connect the flat four cable using crimp connectors and wrap with electrical tape. Took about 5 minutes to make, no mods to truck or trailer other than replacing 24V bulbs with 12V bulbs on the trailer.... easy peasey!