• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer plug wire woes

JAsher45

tonight on my M1009 as i was moving my boat i noticed i my tailer lights were not working properly... i have never messed with them. it was retro fited when i got the truck from a military plug to a 6 round plug here is where my issue is brake lights and turn lights work fine... turn on the head lights nothing works on the trailer not even brake or turn .. all the issue seems to be in the plug any pointers ? the trailer works on my other trucks ... i have looked at the wiring diagrams and see that i should have a yellow black DK green and brown line which one is what? any pointers ?

JAsher45

i have figured it out for the most part and seemed to be a weathered connnector on the truck..

wires are as follows
DK green= R, stop turn
Yellow=L, stop turn
Brown=marker drive lights
BLK=ground
LT green=back up lights

AJMBLAZER

How many wires do you have on each side? I found a month or so ago that my M1008 didn't match up with similar vintage civilian trucks.

JAsher45

it is hooked into the two plugs that were for the military trailer plug. there is also a small bundle.. i think 4 wires that are for the blackout lights that are also part of the plug

Jake0147

Non-stock wiring is always a gamble to diagnose remotely, too many possibilities, but here goes anyway.

If one were to ASSume that the six way conversion was/is done correctly and still functioning properly, then you've just described a broken ground circuit. If the plug seems to be the issue, that particular pin (and the wires attached to it) should warrant particular attention. If it's standardized, that pin should be at the ten o'clock position when viewing the truck plug, and the two o'clock position when looking at the trailer plug. ASSuming that is, that the "key" is at the top, and the trap door hinge is at the top. Of course, don't ASSume anything, but it sounds as if you've already verified the truck plug.

Side note- Back up lights on a six way concerns me a touch... I've only seen that on home spun wiring. Normally you would have

Left turn
Right turn
Tail
Ground
Electric brake
Constant power.

ASSuming that the wires are in a standard pattern, the back up lights would have to be in the center (replacing the constant power wire) or in the two o'clock position on the truck plug (replacing the electric brake) Watch out for that wire if you tow anything with brakeaway brakes or other onboard batteries that need charging (Popup campers come to mind).

Absolutely nothing wrong with using that as a back up light on the trailer, ASSuming that you aren't obligated to having a brakeaway device or electric brakes. No fun at all backing over stuff if you can't even see the carnage IMHO. Just be weary of hitching up to anything with electric brakes or a battery charging provision. Obviously the safety issue of not having brakes that you prolly should have, but also electrical issues from popped fuses right up to the possibility (especially with a weak plug) of having lots of brakes when you're trying to back up.

JAsher45

yeah the back up lights i dont have going through the trailer plug.. have a seperate spade connection for that.. back up lights are handy on a trailer when moving around in the dark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks