• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer rack exensions

Ripcord01

My money is tied up now. I have to put a new bumper on my truck. I backed in to the **** trailer with my truck. I was moving around a few and When I put my truck on park I missed the gear, went rolling back with me attached. Then bamm. I was trying not to get run over by my own **** truck. The brakes on the trailer held the trailer and truck until I could get back up and put it in park. I am still pissed , a 150 dollar trailer ate my bumper and tailgate. About 800.00 in damage. Time for a new steel bumper not to cheap crap..

DAP

I took pictures of my tarp today. I think it is a M1008 CUCV tarp. It is to tight on my M116 but not on my M101. I'd rather have the M101 tarp. The part number inside is 12255551. I am willing to trade for your M101 tarp (or M116 tarp as the case may be. Do you have pictures of the tarp? How do I contact you off line so I can send you pictures or should I post them here. They are big pictures. I raised the bows on my M101 by adding 4.5 inches to the bow upright length. Just enough to clear my head. unfortunately I have never installed the bows other than the trial fit as I use the M101 for hauling wood and the taller bows won't let me get it out of the garage.

koolex11

That's pretty nice looking. The windows will be really nice for camping. Is it tall enough though? Ripcord is probably looking for something that is 48-50" high. What is the measurement from the top corner seam to the bottom of one of the side flaps?

DAP

Rats I folded the tarp back up and put it away for the day. Now the weather is to wet and drippy. don't want to get it out and expose it to wet right now. I suppose I will wait and see if Ripcord01 want to trade or if he has money for shipping even. I have my blue AirForce M37 and then my 20 year project is making two 1954 M37 rusted hulks into one good one painted Marine corp mid 50s OD. I also have acculmulated over the years a M116 generator trailer (now airforce blue) that I converted to disk brakes, an M101 that has no brakes and is the wrong color OD green, and a M116 Pioneer Tool Trailer that is also Air Force blue. I want to mount my generator in the Pioneer Tool trailer and make it a mobile shop but takes time and money. The M101 that is still green is my beater for yard work, it is a great trailer, no rust and I have made a 3/4' plywood bed floor in two pieces to keep the bed floor from being destroyed

Barrman

Yes, that is a CUCV cargo cover. They are the only one with zippers.

I use one for camping in a 101 with extended uprights and a 101 top on the 101 for hauling stuff.

DAP

Ok so then this would work for Ripcord01 if he extends his wood uprights that are fastened to the bows.
How much did you extend your wood uprights longer than the original wood?
Mine were extended 4.5 inches since I am so short.
I just wanted to not knock my head on them when getting in and out loading firewood but I have never installed them.

Ripcord01

DAP.
Email me withyour shipping info and I will let you know on cost. Mine has no rips or holes , but do to all rain it has some rust on it. I am trying to find some CLR and can't locate any at the local hardware stores. Maybe they stopped making it? Anyone else have thought s on this?

koolex11

I have made a 3/4' plywood bed floor in two pieces to keep the bed floor from being destroyed
Yeah that plywood floor is smart. Much cheaper than any of the bedliner paints, and easy to replace if it gets wrecked. I have used plywood bedliners and stapled carpet to one side for anti-skid, clean work, fragile items, and sleeping. Gives a nice domestic feel to a camper...

I have thought about buying an M37, but I'm not a mechanic, and considering the trouble I had locating a 16" Budd split ring, I thought it would be a nightmare finding parts to restore one. I guess that sort of thing goes with the hobby, but I worry that it would rust to the ground by the time I got it fixed up. So SAP, I guess I'm wondering, how long did it take you, and what is your level of expertise with automotive restoration?

As for the tarp for Ripcord, I just figured he would want to extend it to 6'. I think the standard interior height with racks and bows is 48", so he would want an extra 2 feet or so.

It would help if Ripcord would respond!!! Where are you buddy? Are you off on the "fix your civi pickup truck bumper" forum, or did you get banished again? Didn't I tell you not to mess with the SS goderators?!

Barrman

I don't have a measurement of how tall I went. I actually cut down some M35 up rights and bows. I will try to get a tape measure on the center of the bows tonight.

DAP

Koolex11 - I have my BS Aircraft Engineering and AS Aeronautical engineering from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beech. I am an aircraft mechanic with IA license who works as a missionary for Wycliffe Bible Translators except in 1997 I had 20% of my lung removed so can't do it full time anymore so I now work in Business systems. - working on the M37 is pretty low tech. I sent Budd 5 hole rim insides to Stockton Wheel in California and 9 months later have tubeless rims. Pioneer Tool trailer took 3 months do redo, M116 generator trailer 6 months to redo, M37 B1 took about 7 years, and my current M37 is a 20 year project.

markaroe

I purchased 2 M015's last Christmas. one of them had a double side racks on the sides.
the bows were attached on the upper set and the canvas had been lengthened. You could actually stand up in it and still have head room.

Attached are the pictures. the one beside it has single height side rails.

It appears that they can be altered but the cover may need modification.
You may be able to raise it 6 to 8 inches without cover mods though.

Nice m37

Attachments

Last edited:

koolex11

Koolex11 - I have my BS Aircraft Engineering and AS Aeronautical engineering from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beech. I am an aircraft mechanic with IA license who works as a missionary for Wycliffe Bible Translators except in 1997 I had 20% of my lung removed so can't do it full time anymore so I now work in Business systems. - working on the M37 is pretty low tech. I sent Budd 5 hole rim insides to Stockton Wheel in California and 9 months later have tubeless rims. Pioneer Tool trailer took 3 months do redo, M116 generator trailer 6 months to redo, M37 B1 took about 7 years, and my current M37 is a 20 year project.
Interesting story. 7 years for your B1, that's what I'm afraid of! Not the length of the restoration, but losing my wife in the meantime! Well, you do good work from the Avatar. Do you have other pics?

I just finished my second M101, an A2 and sold it this afternoon. Looking for the next one! I was watching a 116 with 2 gensets on it (3KW diesel) but it ended up going for close to $2000! Perhaps I am ready for something new, but not quite ready to dive into a Power Wagon!

Ripcord01

I purchased 2 M015's last Christmas. one of them had a double side racks on the sides.
the bows were attached on the upper set and the canvas had been lengthened. You could actually stand up in it and still have head room.

Attached are the pictures. the one beside it has single height side rails.

It appears that they can be altered but the cover may need modification.
You may be able to raise it 6 to 8 inches without cover mods though.

Nice m37
Since the ends are tapered . did they just cut the ends flat and shim them togther with steaks ? Got any pictures of the inside of the stretched one?

DAP

Looks good, You previously stated no tears or rips in fabric. I assume that also means no thin spots, the stains are just stains?

Also It appears the tarp material is the rubberized tarp material like my tarp is. Is this correct?

If all is a correct understanding let me know and I will try to ship you my tarp today or tomorrow if you are ready to ship to me also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks