• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Recommendation

RDL

I looking for a trailer recommendation for my Jeep JLU wrangler. I'd like to go with a military trailer that I can modify for trail adventures, so size and weight are a concern. Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

SgtMajHarper

Thanks Mark,
I'll start looking for one.
Roger
Agreed on the M416 trailer as a first choice (I have used 2 of them with my CJ5's and CJ8 Scrambler just fine), they are getting harder to find a decent one for a good price, another option is an M116 trailer. Maybe easier to find. A guy in SE Colo. where I got mine has @ 40 of them sitting on his property for sale.

Reactions: RDL

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed on the M416 trailer as a first choice (I have used 2 of them with my CJ5's and CJ8 Scrambler just fine), they are getting harder to find a decent one for a good price, another option is an M116 trailer. Maybe easier to find. A guy in SE Colo. where I got mine has @ 40 of them sitting on his property for sale.

Yep, The M116 would also be a good choice. The old Ben Hur trailers IMHO are the best looking of all of them but very hard to find anymore.

Mark

P7100005.jpeg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the M1101/M1102, originally intended for the HMMWV.

Be advised they're a little wider than the jeep. This can be an issue on narrow trails.

Pictured is the generator carrier version of the M1102. Cargo variants with a box are more common.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to fifth or sixth the M416 recommendation. An M416A1 with surge brakes may be a consideration. I have never off-roaded with one so maybe the surge brakes might be a detriment. I have heard there are issues backing up such trailers, which might be a consideration while off-roading.

SgtMajHarper

I want to fifth or sixth the M416 recommendation. An M416A1 with surge brakes may be a consideration. I have never off-roaded with one so maybe the surge brakes might be a detriment. I have heard there are issues backing up such trailers, which might be a consideration while off-roading.
Just another thought on the M416 trailer, on mine I put civilian wheels and matching tires as I have on my civilian Jeeps. I like being able to use 1 spare for either vehicle. I have the trailer painted to match, the tongue stays level, same track width.....can't beat it. The bigger trailers are a pain to man-handle when you move them by hand. If not now when you are younger, give it a few years, you'll appreciate lighter, smaller.

RDL

Thank you all for your suggestions. Seems to be a general consensus around the M416 trailer. I'm looking for one now: there are several available but they've either in bad shape or too expensive. I'll keep searching. Thanks again!!!

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a little helpful tip.....during your travels, keep an eye out for these trailers that have been sitting in yards and along fence lines. I have found a few of the years this way. Many times, way cheaper than what the market is asking for them. Most have had some rust issues in the front where the water sits (nobody remembers to open the drains when parking). You may be surprised. Also, a good reason to take a nice drive in the country or farmlands.

Elwarpo

I pull a M416 behind my LJ and it is great. Only issue is backing up is hard since the trailer over reacts to any left/right movement.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I pull a M416 behind my LJ and it is great. Only issue is backing up is hard since the trailer over reacts to any left/right movement.
Hand on the bottom of the wheel helps a little just because you have to be quick - and a little push right or left - moves the trailer in that direction. Less thinking, faster action when backing up...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks