• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer toter for my tractor

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As my signature says, I have too many trailers. That's usually not a problem (don't ask my wife, tho), except that I have to move them to bush hog to keep the weeds down. I looked at m16ty’s tractor hitch he built,
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/64456-tractor-military-trailer-hitch.html
I even bought the receiver tube, but didn’t have the main 3-point T attachment like m16ty, and can’t weld anyway.

I do have a hay spear for my tractor, so being the cheap bastage that I am, I took a Tractor Supply pintle hitch and attached it to the hay spear using two U-bolts. The main concern was whether the prongs of the spear would hit the trailers. It turns out, there is plenty of room for the main top spear to clear all my trailers. The bottom prongs limit really tight turns with trailers with surge brakes, but I had no problems with most turns. Trailers with no surge brakes had no problems if I lifted the tongue high enough.

This has worked very well so far with M101A1, M101A2, M105A2 and M105A3 trailers, and it took no time at all to move my trailer horde. As m16ty found, in most cases I can just backup, lift the hitch into the ring and take off. I only have to get out of the seat to engage/disengage the trailer brakes if parking on a slope. Now I can use my tractor to pull the "farm use" trailers (fence post and yard waste trailers are shown) instead of my pickup.

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny! I have a 50mm (Euro) ball hitch on the top of my three point spear for moving our 'Goose neck' trailers while the clasp stays locked shut (I think Goose hitches are the bigger size - 2&1/8"?). It's also got a receiver tube down low for a Pintle like yours for 'army' trailers or a NATO rigid bar.

:grd:

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I like your setup but don't own a hay spear.

I do have a Reese hitch that has never been installed on a truck and I'm considering making a setup that will hook to to my three point hitch on my tractor. I have a pintle hitch that was scrounged off of the rear of a van trailer.

Moving trailers enmass can be a beotch without the proper equipment.aua

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She's happier that the weeds are gone, but not so much with all the trailers in her horse pasture. I tell her they will keep me busy when I retire next year, and I won't be pestering her so much.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*8 m101s and some 105s. Whatcha going to be doing?
Use some here, clean some up and sell them, the some will probably be parted and scraped.

Two of the M105's have consecutive serial numbers to match the consecutive serial number M35A2s I have. Two other M105's go with the M109A3s, one M101A2 I'll use on the road with my pickups, 2 M101A1s and 1 M105 will stay on the farm for fencing materials, brush, dirt hauling, and 1 steel box M105 is slowly becoming my camper trailer/deer blind.

See, I really can justify all of them, but my wife still doesn't totally buy it. I probably should just admit I have a trailer addiction.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added a ball to the front loader bucket of the tractor, that makes it pretty easy to move the campers/trailers around. Would like to add one to the three point, but my scraper is usually attached, may just put a ball on the scraper.

Also welded a plate with a hole in it the top of the loader, so I can move the 5th wheel around. Tractor sure is handy!

Csm Davis

Use some here, clean some up and sell them, the some will probably be parted and scraped.

Two of the M105's have consecutive serial numbers to match the consecutive serial number M35A2s I have. Two other M105's go with the M109A3s, one M101A2 I'll use on the road with my pickups, 2 M101A1s and 1 M105 will stay on the farm for fencing materials, brush, dirt hauling, and 1 steel box M105 is slowly becoming my camper trailer/deer blind.

See, I really can justify all of them, but my wife still doesn't totally buy it. I probably should just admit I have a trailer addiction.
Okay but that's not all of them right? :whistle:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, there are still 2 at your place. I was hoping to pick them up this weekend, but I can't leave the house until we have power back after Isaac knocked it out. :sad:

The hitch came in real handy as I used the tractor and one of the M105's yesterday to pick up 4 loads of limbs and branches from Hurricane Issac.

The M105 was easier to maneuver than the Deuce I used after the last hurricane.

Jimma

Cool deal. I have a hay spear on my tractor and an extra pointle hitch sitting around. I will copy your idea. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks