• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer towing an M35A2 on flatbed

gotojw

Hello,

Hope I'm posting in the right area. Ibe doen a quick search and not able to figure this out, so if anyone could provide some info or point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated!

I've got an M35A2 and need to transport it about 25 miles. The flame heater is leaking and other than that its sat for the last 6 years. It was running fine a couple years ago, but I dont want to risk the drive.

I live in california, so just renting a gooseneck to load it onto is impossible due to weights and lengths and license restrictions.

I have a 2000 F350 crew cab dually with turbo diesel, and she should be up to the task, but it looks like the only trailer I can rent is a bumper pull trailer. I have always used 5th wheel or gooseneck for "larger" loads.

My question are:
1. Would a bumper tow trailer with correct ratings and dimensions be safe?
2. Does anyone know how much weight is over the front end and back end of a deuce? Should I pull forward or back the deuce on the trailer for weight distribution reasons? Worried about how much weight would be in the tongue/hitch.

I'm just concerned about a bumper tow on this one. Maybe if I had a dump truck or larger tow rig I'd feel better.

Thanks for any info.

Jeff

snowtrac nome

here is the correct answer I think the most modern hitches if you have one of the curt hd hitches is only rated around 12 k with a bumper pull configuration you will need an equalizer and electric brakes. The duce weighs around 15 k plus the weight of the trailer. you will be over gross on the hitch. the hitches are over built usually the receiver I have on my lmtv has been load tested to 40 k just because I did that doesn't mean its right I have also had 15 k boats in tow behind my gen 1 dodge diesel. again way over gross for the hitch system with a weight carrying hitch. Most of your hitches will take the abuse if you drive right and take your time , but it isn't right and if you have an accident your insurance company will likely say it sucks to be you. In the lower 48 you have more cops trained in commercial motor vehicle enforcement and you stand a good chance of getting pulled over. You might consider getting a tow company to just move it with a medium duty wrecker just to save headaches and possible injury to other motorist.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
20191005_224657.jpg

We did this with a Ram 4500. Not a 3500. Felt very safe, went 50 miles in a rural area with low traffic density. It's a buddy's set up and I never looked at the weight rating of the trailer. I was just along for the ride.

gotojw

Nice. Good to know. I have air bag setup on my truck. Still need to find out exactly what class hitch I have. I would be taking the back roads, could keep it 35 mph the whole trip if I had to.

gotojw

Just finished taking a look at my bumper hitch. It's a ford factory hitch. Has a "V 5" on it, but max capacity is 1,000 tongue weight and 10,000 trailer? Is this the rating they give because of the weight of the truck and all the gvwr gcwr stuff? I thought a class 5 hitch was good to closer to 20,000 lbs rating?

saddamsnightmare

December 29th, 2019

My suggestions, Sir, is cough up the $$ and have it towed commercially by a competent, insured, commercial towing company. That way if anything untoward should occur, you are legally covered. If you try it on your own and the PD/or CHP gets you, you are done. If you have an accident, YOUR insurance company will let you swing! Is it worth it? NO!. If you can't afford the tow, you probably can't afford the truck in reality. Save yourself, and us, the grief. One bad screw up by anyone on here that attracts the news coverage, and many of us may be done right thereafter. All it takes is 1 bad accident. Go safe and you know you are right!

Cheers,

Kyle.

nukem

My brother with a 3500 Cummins flat towed my non stopping, non running deuce about three miles with me inside the deuce. I have a military towbar system. He's that guy that doesn't listen and always drives a little close to the edge.

Had I not been in the deuce and manning the hand brake, we almost jackknifed his Cummins off my paved drive into my pool.

Clint's rig was probably marginal but no harm no foul.

fasttruck

The dimensional data plate in the cab will identify the CG and give the empty axle weights. The tandem puts 7200# or so to the ground, the front about 5200#.

Calculate to total weight of the truck, trailer and load and see if it exceeds to total capacity of all the axles. Obviously the trailer has to have working brakes.

About every six weeks somebody comes on the site and wants to know if an obviously overloaded move will work. Equally uninformed persons will respond and say it does or point out examples of their own lack of knowledge that they "safely" accomplished.

Numerous responses to this post have suggesting using a towing company or getting the load trailered with a combination up to the task. Take their thoughts under advisement

fasttruck

The truck in post 5 appears to be overloaded: look at how the suspension on the truck squats and I doubt a trailer with 4 wheels under it is not overloaded.

gotojw

Thanks for all the replies. Got it moved yesterday. Had a company move it. Quick and easy. Company showed up with a 80k rated wrecker, made quick work of it. Lol

Reactions: 98G

FloridaAKM

I had to move a Deuce that I bought from GP as a non runner. Since I have a running Deuce & an 80K towbar system, I flat towed the dead Deuce 15 miles home on the country backroads here. I knew the dead Deuce was back there, but it towed beautifully with no problems on the way home.

Flame suit on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks