• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer towing M35a2?

MedicMog

Howdy,

Got a question in regards to towing a trailer with the M35a2 so I thought i'd come to those in the know.

My MV, a Unimog 404 is an amazing vehicle offroad, however it lacks a bit when it comes to on highway use. (think tractor) Several events,shows and get-togethers id'd like to start attending are quite a few miles from here so i'm considering a tow vehicle.

My question is how would the M35a2 perform in the role of tow vehicle? I'm looking a a 14k lb standard pintle hook equip. trailer to haul the mog on. I understand speed is going to be lacking, but hey life in the slow lane is fine with me. Pros/Cons? thoughts? any comments are welcome. My main concern is will the M35a2 be up to task? i'd like to think so but? i'm not familer with these trucks as much as I am with Mogs.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before i tried to search before posting and most towing questions related to tow bars and such.

Thanks Phillip

jimmcld

I believe that you would be a hazard for the other motorist. Your going to be going so slow that you couldn't even get a speeding ticket in a school zone!

Parker2

I use to tow a 25' dual tandem axle trailer behind mine while loaded with a tractor. The non turbo duece pulled it just fine. I imagine that's more load than your going to pull.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My reco...buy a 5 ton tractor. They are dirt cheap, have a more powerful motor, bigger brakes, AND power steering among other benefits. The only issue is, in some states, using them in the way you want may require you to have a CDL.

MedicMog

Thanks for the quick imput ya'll, and the link.. Oshkosh has a few m813's on super singles that i may look into as well, not to mention eastern has an m35 with the 250 series 5 ton motor installed. but i just want to get the group feelings on the subject..

SixSpeed

Banned
Hey,

A good running 404 can keep up with an M35A2 without any problem. I'd say my 65 TLF8 would outrun a deuce no problem, but it does have a brand new engine/aftermarket ignition and runs like a champ. Your Radio Box is very heavy though, a lot heavier than my TLF8 Box.

I'm not sure an M35A2 would be worth the upgrade for long drives, at least not stock. Maybe with some tuning/modification. An M35 with the NHC-250 would be pretty cool.

PS, welcome! Good to see some other 'Mogs around here.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what the weight of the mog is, but I pull around 14k (track loader and trailer) with mine and yeah, it's slow on the hills, but I can do 53-55 on the flats. 5 tons would pull better up hills, I think, but they still aren't fast.

jasonjc

Thanks for the quick imput ya'll, and the link.. Oshkosh has a few m813's on super singles that i may look into as well, not to mention eastern has an m35 with the 250 series 5 ton motor installed. but i just want to get the group feelings on the subject..

A 250 in a deuce, that I'd like to see.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A 250 in a deuce, that I'd like to see.

Ditto-especially since the 809 series front end is even longer than the M39 series in order to clear the longer engine of the 809's.............. plus the axle and tire load issues........................

Off to the Eastern site!