• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailering a M37

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK all-
I believe in the 6 "P"s.... if you know you know....

I'm pretty sure in the future there will be a time I want to bring both the 5 ton and M37 on a trip and don't want to be limited by the top speed of the M37 on the interstate.... (Let's say I'm setting the 5 ton up as a campsite and want the M37 as a grocery getter)....

What trailer is out there that doesn't have too high a deck, isn't 52' long, can SAFELY haul the M37 and is towable by the 5 ton? Or is there even such a creature out there?

Again, looking toward the future, so I'm not looking for classifieds, only knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you open to mounting a 2” receiver hitch on Berta, or is this conversation limited to what you can pull with the pintle hitch?
I'm looking for a pintle hitch and from what I understand about flat towing the M37, don't you need to remove the rear drive shaft?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M1061A1 will likely work if you use ramps and don't mine some slight overhand front / back. It has 5 ton capacity and is designed to be pulled behind a 5-ton. I have one and love it.
OK, just making sure we are talking about the same thing...

This is a M106A1, right?

images.jpeg

How does the wide spread on the axles do? I would think you get a lot of drag.....

m715mike

I'm looking for a pintle hitch and from what I understand about flat towing the M37, don't you need to remove the rear drive shaft?

I was asking about adding 2” receiver hitch on Bertha giving you the option to pull a civilian trailer. I did not mean to imply flat towing as an option.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was asking about adding 2” receiver hitch on Bertha giving you the option to pull a civilian trailer. I did not mean to imply flat towing as an option.
Ooohhh... I guess thats always an option, but then I have to rig up a civvy wiring harness and either make it 12v or the trailer 24..... 🤷‍♂️

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my 5 ton I have it setup so I can pull out the pintle and insert a standard receiver hitch of course with a drop of around 10" to the ball. this way I can pull any civy trailer and if I want to pull a pintle type military I can convert it over in about 10 minutes and that include installing my 24 to 12 volt converter!

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my 5 ton I have it setup so I can pull out the pintle and insert a standard receiver hitch of course with a drop of around 10" to the ball. this way I can pull any civy trailer and if I want to pull a pintle type military I can convert it over in about 10 minutes and that include installing my 24 to 12 volt converter!
Any problem with taking and posting pics and info on how to do that? Also, does that lower the rating?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, just making sure we are talking about the same thing...

This is a M106A1, right?

View attachment 857994

How does the wide spread on the axles do? I would think you get a lot of drag.....
I pull an XM1061E1 behind my M35A3 deuce. It is a very heavy trailer designed to be pulled by a 5-ton. However, my deuce pulls it very easily except on steep hills where I am slow. I like the trailer because you can drop the support legs and level the trailer into a stable platform if needed. You do need ramps to load vehicles or a loading dock. The 1061 is one very tough trailer.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn’t flat tow an M37. It’s just too hard on the drive line. I have two trailers for this. One is a covered trailer one is a flat bed. I installed a class five hitch on my M934. I set the height of the drop hitch ball to match my pickup. I also installed an electronic break controller and built a 24 to 12 volt light adaptor. Pulling a trailer with a 6,500 pound truck on it requires breaks on the trailer. What I don’t know is, will a Uhaul car hauler trailer carry an M37? If it will, renting a trailer a few times a year may be better than owning one.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn’t flat tow an M37. It’s just too hard on the drive line. I have two trailers for this. One is a covered trailer one is a flat bed. I installed a class five hitch on my M934. I set the height of the drop hitch ball to match my pickup. I also installed an electronic break controller and built a 24 to 12 volt light adaptor. Pulling a trailer with a 6,500 pound truck on it requires breaks on the trailer. What I don’t know is, will a Uhaul car hauler trailer carry an M37? If it will, renting a trailer a few times a year may be better than owning one.
I can promise you, a uhaul trailer WILL tow a M37!

Screenshot_20220112-175751_Video Player.jpg

I never went above 55 and because the uhaul trailer has brakes, I was able to stop (the most important part of towing).

As far as renting, it averages about 75-80 a day and I usually take off for about a week, so it financially makes more sense to own.

As far as flat towing, you're correct. I would be pulling drive lines every time.