• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailers compatible with air over hydraulic braking systems

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys is there a definitive list of trailers compatible with the deuce, meaning the trailers that have the correct pintle height, are under 6k lbs gross and have braking systems that function with the air over hydraulic brakes?

The reason I ask is I recently purchased a flatbed trailer thinking it was a M1061 when actually it was a water purification unit trailer, equipped with air brakes. I assume the air portion of the service brakes on the deuce work opposite of air brakes, and thus any air brake trailer is a no-go. , is that right?

The operators TM does not have a list of trailers (that I saw) so I am bringing my question to the collective.

Domo arigato, gozai mas.

Rick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it should work behind the deuce, you have both air lines comming off the back

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am inexperienced with air brakes. You guys are saying that the air over hydraulic service air brakes on the deuce will operate the S cam air brake trailer? If so, that is good news!

Thanks guys,

Rick

Autocar

Even though the truck has air over hydraulic brakes, the trailer brakes are like standard air brakes. The service brake line normally has no pressure until the truck brakes are applied and then the service brake line pressurizes. The emergency brake line has pressure to it all the time, but doesn't reach the gladhand because of the shut off valve just in front of the gladhand. To pull a regular air brake trailer, you hook it up just like an air brake tractor-service line to service line, emergency line to emergency line. The emergency shut off valve is opened and it charges the trailer tanks and releases the trailer parking brakes. After that, any time you apply the service brakes on the truck, the trailer service brakes will apply. The only difference is that there is no parking brake valve in the truck, so to set the parking brakes of the trailer, you have to get out, close the emergency shut off valve at the gladhand and then disconnect the emergency air line at the gladhand. This dumps the air out of the trailer emergency line and the trailer parking brakes then apply. You can add a parking valve in the truck-do a search for my article on installing a parking valve in my M818 tractor.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you hook them up correctly....if you cross them they will work for a few times and then they can begin to drag or lock up.
Yes, you can go until you hit the service brakes enough to fill the trailer air tank. Once the air tank gets some air in it it will apply the brakes.

Jake0147

Guys is there a definitive list of trailers compatible with the deuce, meaning the trailers that have the correct pintle height, are under 6k lbs gross and have braking systems that function with the air over hydraulic brakes?

The reason I ask is I recently purchased a flatbed trailer thinking it was a M1061 when actually it was a water purification unit trailer, equipped with air brakes. I assume the air portion of the service brakes on the deuce work opposite of air brakes, and thus any air brake trailer is a no-go. , is that right?

The operators TM does not have a list of trailers (that I saw) so I am bringing my question to the collective.

Domo arigato, gozai mas.

Rick

The two glad hands on the back of a deuce and a half, for the purpose of trailer selection, may be considered "regular air brakes". The mechanism by which the correct service signal (apply signal) is generated is obviously very different, but it's the correct signal at the correct time, all the time. It's that way by design. It does not care if the trailer is full air, or air over hydraulic, one line, or two lines.

The trailers work the same way. If you have a highway tractor with full air brakes, it will correctly operate an air brake trailer obviously, but air over hydraulic trailers use the same signals to achieve their operation. They are quite interchangable.

Biggest issue with a deuce and a half, and it's air assisted hydraulic brakes.. (Which are NOT "air over hydraulic", don't get that confused...), is that if you loose fluid pressure (blown wheel seal, blown line, bad master, etc) then in addition to loosing fluid pressure to the truck's brakes, you have no ballancing force to allow the brake booster (airpack) to build pressure, therefore you have lost your trailer brakes as well. So be absolutely positive that the trucks brakes are in excellent condition.

fasttruck

As i recall the system works on the principle that the tm for the trailer lists the vehicles that are approved to tow it rather than the prime mover tm listing the approved trailers for that vehicle. Also the transportability guide manuals for major end items will list the nequipment that is authorized to transport the major end item: tank, howitzer, generator etc.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... the tm for the trailer lists the vehicles that are approved to tow it rather than the prime mover tm listing the approved trailers for that vehicle. ....
Interesting information, and it makes sense. However I have not found a TM for the trailer.

I have found TM's for the water purification unit that sits atop the trailer. The trailer operations are included in the TM and I also found a NSN for the trailer contained in the unit TM. however I have not yet found a TM for the trailer.

When I receive the trailer, perhaps there will be a data plate denoting the appropriate TM's for easier searching.

Rick

quickfarms

Rick

I suggest that you read the air brake manual that I posted a link to in my last post.

Also if you could post some pictures it would help us id the trailer.

Please check the rate towing capacity of the duece.

The duece is a 2 1/2 ton trailer

The M1061A1 is a 5 ton trailer (it has a gvw of just under 16000 lbs) and should be towed by a 5 ton or large truck.

Trailer air brakes come in three varieties

Air over hydrolic found on the M105, M1061A1 and many others

Straight single diaphram air brakes, older s cam trailer brakes that do not apply the brakes if there is no air pressure.

And spring air brakes, current s cam brakes in which the spring applies the brakes if ther is no air pressure.

Air brakes function at between 85 and 130 psi (usually 100 to 120 psi)

Low air warnig buzzer should sound when the pressue drops between 55 and 75 psi

The emergency brakes should automatically apply between 20 and 45 psi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks