• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailers that can be hauled by a M48/M275

RGS20inophir

I have been thinking more and more about putting a 5th wheel plate back on the 54'. Obviously, since the truck has been stretched forward and aft of the bogie it is no longer a true M-45, and with the 5th wheel plate on it won't fit into the category of a M48 because of the stretched wheelbase. Which brings me to the topic of this post...

In my searching I have yet to actually find a list of air over hydraulic trailers approved for use with the M44 series. There are the obvious ones that everyone knows about like the M105 family, but just what did Uncle Sam intend the M48 and M275 to carry on it's back?

Additionally, are there any photos out there of a M45 set up as a bolster truck? Do any of the bolster bogies still exist?

So, lets start a list of the trailers "approved for use" towed behind the M44 series and on their back. If possible post your pictures and experiences towing that particular trailer. :-D

RAYZER

My m44 series tractor pulls my 6 ton m146 trailer with ease! The stock m146 trailer weights 7350 lbs empty, I have added about 1500 lbs to that.uploadfromtaptalk1361363374926.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides the M146 Ray speakes of, The M118 and M119 trailers are a match made in heaven. The M348 and M373 are decent too but start getting heavy. I've towed all the above as well as an M313 and M447C. The latter 2 really push the limits of power. If I could only choose one it would be the M118 stake. You could always add an S280 or the like or even a connex.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My M275 has pulled the single axle electronic van trailers, the expando van trailers and various flatbeds. It will pull trailers with straight air brakes but in a heavy braking situation the air supply is depleted quickly. If loaded heavy it is a toad in the road on hills. On flat land it will roll along pretty good. I'd love to transplant a LDS engine into it. If you are going to pull straight air brake trailers you can add some extra air tanks and be fine.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The M48, M275 and M221 2 1/2 ton tractors. were designed to pull a 6 ton trailer. The mentioned trailers about cover it. Most of the 6 ton trailers had only one axle, but there were a couple of trailers that had two axles. Another way to tell the right trailer is all came with 900x20 tires, if the trailer had 1100x20s it probably is not a 6 tonner.

868.jpg874.jpg858.jpg

RAYZER

Yes, and lets not forget the xm971e1. 10 ton, which is a supersized m373.
1 axel 2.5 ton bolt pattern= 6 ton.
2 axel 2.5 ton bolt pattern = 10 ton.
2 axel 5 ton bolt pattern = 12 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks