• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Train horn mount

I read somewhere that a Nathan K5 series horn is rated for 70 CFM at full flow.I have my stock airtanks and they work fine because you do not have to use them that long to get attention. My air system is set for 120 psi and the horns will work at 60 psi. I can blow the rail crossing signal [ long-long-short-long ] with no loss in volume that I can tell. Mike

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

Really? I mean seriously, what is this country coming to. This story sounds like it's leading into a lawsuit against the railroad for horns being too loud. If you think the train horns are loud why the he!! Would you move beside some tracks.... If you think the trains are loud, MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it just me or are the petty issues in this country becoming more and more annoying.... This BS ranks right up there with all the HOA anticts...

Just a side note, I'm not mad at the Person who posted this. But rather the plain lack of common sense this nation seems to have more and more of everyday. And if it keeps up we will be in for alot of trouble in the years to come
I live in a small Northern Minnesota community of 249 people. The Canadian National railroad runs through the middle of town. There is a lot of train traffic on the tracks. Most of the towns businesses and our school is within a stones throw of the railroad crossing. The engineers blow the horns on the trains past the crossings to a point where it is excessive. I've seen small children start crying when the horns start blowing --- not because they are scared but because it hurts their ears. Small children are more sensitive and therefore more vulnerable to hearing loss from high decibel noise. This is NOT a trivial matter and while I have no love for Home Owners Associations I think it's absurd to suggest moving a town. I should also note that I make these comments not as some progressive yuppie but as an old conservative red neck that doesn't want to see our kids have to go through life with their ears contstantly ringing like mine have since 1968 (Vietnam) or worse.

So as not to hijack this thread --- to get back to MVs

Train horns can be dangerous to children and while I'm sure everyone's intentions are harmless in my opinion putting train horns on an MV that can be blown in parades or any other place where children are present is dangerously negligent. As an adult I personally also don't like them. I've got enough ringing in my ears without some clown blasting me 100+ decibels from a wild cat set of train horns because he thinks it's cute or cool. I'm not saying this is the case with SS members but if the shoe fits (or might fit) wear it.

A few years ago I witnessed what almost turned into a first class beating at a 4th of July parade when an ambulance driver turned on a very loud warning device while the parade was going down a street that had buildings (and kids) on both sides of the street. The buildings trapped the sound which made the noise even worse. A couple of irate dad's came close to dragging the driver out of the ambulance and working him over when he refused to turn it off. At first he thought it was funny but soon learned different.

I realize I'll probably get flamed over these comments but in my opinion there isn't anything cool, macho or humerous about putting train horns on MVs.

Respectfully Sumbitted

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMM. I wanted a set of 5 chimes for the 814, but after reading about the 1 note blat horn, I know of 2 that came off ex army SW8's. So that would be a MV horn right?

JDToumanian

Hey Ernie,

Good to see you back on here, it seems we were missing you for a while...

The only point in your post that I am going to disagree with is that the engineers were blowing the horn excessively. I'm a locomotive engineer and I can tell you, we don't have a choice. We will get in trouble for blowing too much or for blowing too little. And not just in trouble with the company but also the Federal Railroad Administration and the Public Utilities Commission, both of which have the power to levy big fines on us for failure to comply. The law says that the train must sound the horn for a minimum of 15 seconds but not more than 20 seconds before the crossing. The pattern and cadence must be a correct "long-long-short-long" and that pattern be prolonged or repeated until the train is completely through the crossing. The loudness is not variable, it's just an on-off button. Anyway, I'm just sayin' that they're probably just doing their job. Time them with a stopwatch and see... If they regularly blow more than 20 seconds, a complaint would probably get pleasant results.

If enough people hate the horn as much as you, your town can make the crossing a "no whistle zone" for the trains, but your town must pay for the crossing upgrades on it's own.... Concrete medians and 4-quadrant gates so it is impossible for cars to go around. Well, I guess than may not be practical for a town of 249 people....

Jon

Last edited:

SasquatchSanta

Hey Ernie,

Good to see you back on here, it seems we were missing you for a while...

The only point in your post that I am going to disagree with is that the engineers were blowing the horn excessively. I'm a locomotive engineer and I can tell you, we don't have a choice. We will get in trouble for blowing too much or for blowing too little. And not just in trouble with the company but also the Federal Railroad Administration and the Public Utilities Commission, both of which have the power to levy big fines on us for failure to comply. The law says that the train must sound the horn for a minimum of 15 seconds but not more than 20 seconds before the crossing. The pattern and cadence must be a correct "long-long-short-long" and that pattern be prolonged or repeated until the train is completely through the crossing. Anyway, I'm just sayin' that they're probably just doing they're job. Time them with a stopwatch and see... If they regularly blow more than 20 seconds, a complaint would probably get pleasant results.

If enough people hate the horn as much as you, your town can make the crossing a "no whistle zone" for the trains, but your town must pay for the crossing upgrades on it's own.... Concrete medians and 4-quadrant gates so it is impossible for cars to go around. Well, I guess than may not be practical for a town of 249 people....

Jon
Thanks for the insight Jon. I understant the logic of what you are saying.

Thks,

Ernie

Capt.Marion

To answer your question of what a GP-9 is, Ernie:

It's a 4-axle diesel-electric locomotive made by EMD in the '50s and '60s. It's prime mover is an EMD V-16 567C 2-cycle diesel, producing 1,750 HP.

Attachments

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMM. I wanted a set of 5 chimes for the 814, but after reading about the 1 note blat horn, I know of 2 that came off ex army SW8's. So that would be a MV horn right?
You are correct Sir! But to go one step further, you should put a high-railer setup on your truck!!

TheWeatherMan

I was thinking with one of my friends how to put a Hi-rail set up on a deuce. It seems the tires may be just a hair too wide, but it would be cool to throw a coupler on the back and since there is already air on the truck throw a locomotive brake handle in too. It could probably pull a ballast car or two

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think it would be easy with an M36 since the frame in the rear is extended well past the rear, and if it had the winch extention in the front it would just be a matter of fabbing up some mounting brackets. With an M35 you could probably extend the frame and bed to get the extra space, kind of like a reverse Bob job. :) As for the tires, I bet with the right tires or maybe super singles you'd line up the tires just right. Now that would be a go anywhere Duece!!

Jones

If you want to stay subtle and make sure they don't attract attention from the wrong crowd (horn-nappers);
what about under the bed between the bed's frame rails?

I guarantee you won't noticably muffle their output by not having them out in the open.
FRA regs. say locomotive horns should have a maximum volume of 110 db measured at 100 feet.
In addition to ear plugs you might consider carrying a roll or two of toilet paper... just in case.

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

I was thinking with one of my friends how to put a Hi-rail set up on a deuce. It seems the tires may be just a hair too wide, but it would be cool to throw a coupler on the back and since there is already air on the truck throw a locomotive brake handle in too. It could probably pull a ballast car or two

I'll just leave these here...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/40941-what-can-m35a2-tow.html#post452874

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/45413-working-deuce.html#post508767

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
lol I love those threads, it was my M109.

Anywho, the reason I talk about stolen horns is we have had two sets of leisle 5 chimes stolen from the SC RR museum. They both were stolen after the first trip down the line with them installed- so A)someone heard them, just had to have them, and took them B) those horns are too loud, I'll steal them and that will stop them C)someone who knew we put them up there and knew how much they cost. Hence why I was saying to weld them on. It won't stop a thief, but it will slow one down.

And the federal government just passed a law requiring train horns to meet certain levels, so people sueing saying "the horn wasn't loud enough or I didn't hear it" can get shot down by the phrase- 'it meets federal guidelines' That is 96-110 Db at 100ft in the direction of travel. So you can imagine what the Db is at the horn itself.

I also agree with the loud horns hurting childrens ears. We have several engineers at the RR museum that just yank the horn down right there in the yard. I refuse to blow it in the yard, not only because your not supposed to blow in the yard, but I've seen too many kids wail in fear and pain and cover their ears.

saddamsnightmare

July 5th, 2011.:p

The GP-9 was PRR/PC/CR 7049, sister to 7048 on the (Horseshoe) curve, and I loaned it to a RR museum that repainted it for Penn Central. Unfortunately the RR museum went under when I was furloughed and I could not afford the $40 per mile to get it home dead in train. The U.S.Army did use several deuces in South Korea during the 1970's as facilities switchers, with couplers and apparently modified or special wheels that bolted on in place of the usual wheels. Apparently a ballasted deuce makes a very good switcher, though a little slow in reverse. The S404 Unimog and her later sisters were and are often used in Germany for in plant switching. I actually ran the 7049 back in the 1970's when she was in service, and it would take very little to fire her up yet today. There are two very cool Lima Hamilton diesel switchers still in the USATC markings at the Pilgrim's Pride plant in Pittsburg, TX... They would be an elegant pair of locomotives to add to the collection....fat lady sings What until Ferro gets an Army ST tugboat, then we will hear some bragging......

aaron379

ok guys i got the train horns on today took about 5 hours dropped my iphone broke the screen, the usual cussing from the broken phone and the little things that never go right, then the 30 mins of trouble shooting cause i hooked the solenoid up backwards but when theres blue and brown and its been in the shop for 3 years how are you supposed to remember which is power and which is ground? but ill take some pics and post them tomorrow went with under the bed mount worked perfectly

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks