• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranmission Information

omega231

I recently purchased 6, yes 6 Duces from GL. I am a first time owner and currently am enjoying the process of figuring out wht is wht on these things. I was wondering if there is a dip stick somewhere on a duce for checking transmission fluid level. The truck in front of my home atm seems to be missing a plug or two off the transmission and id like to see if there is anything left in the transmission.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why six for the first time out?
Spare parts for the best one of the bunch!

I agree with Westfolk. If you stick your finger in the fill plug hole and it reaches to the 2nd knuckle on your middle finger, your good to go.

omega231

a whim. probably not the brightest idea I have ever had. oh well. its certainly a learning experience. I get the pleasure of calling somebody at Ft. McClellan to find out what year and make these rigs are.

and i do intend to get the best stuff out of all of them. my intention however is to get 4 of them up to an operational status and sell them off. 1 is purely a parts vehicle and the other is the one my buddies and i are planning to stuff all the goodies into. we got lucky with the lights panel on one is the new LED type.

Last edited:

Maxgussam

Welcome to the site..........

Driver's side of the tranny.....say half way up.....there is a plug. That is your level check.

For filling you can use a suck gun. Myself I open the master cylinder door....in the cab where your feet are when driving.....and use a funnel with a piece of hose to stick in the side of the tranny.
What size are the sockets required to remove these plugs from the transmission and the transfer case??

Thanks!

DeuceIsLoose

Anybody know what the best fluid is for the transmission? I think it's supposed to be that GL-1, but is there anything better out there with today's technology (and easier to get)?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. You've got more guts than I have by buying 6 deuces right out of the gate :shock:. Be sure to keep us informed about your experiences with getting them. Good or bad, I bet it's going to be interesting :-D.

Monkeyboyarmy

I get the pleasure of calling somebody at Ft. McClellan to find out what year and make these rigs are.

Hey Omega.Congrats on the trucks.Why do you say Ft.McClellan? Isn't the vehicle registration program at Redstone?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks