• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny not working in Reverse need HELP

CliffW

I drove the deuce two days ago and all was good. I went to move it today drove fine in forward gears. When I go to back-up it wants to stall the motor and will not back at all. I pull forward and then tried to back –up and the same thing. What could it be? Has anyone else ever had this happen? Thanks for any help.

jwaller

will it roll backwards by itself?

if yes then it's transmission problems.
if not put the transfer in "N". if so then it's the transfer.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your parking brake on? Since you had your transmission out, has reverse worked? It sounds like you may not have your shift forks in the correct places when you put the transmission top back on.

CliffW

The parking brake is not on checked that first. Yes it has work fine since I replaced the clutch and I have put about 100 miles on it with no problems at all.
I just was thinking and went and put the transfer case in neutral and tried first and reverse. The jack shaft will spin and no bind on the motor. I’m confused!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try it with the transfer-case in low?

CliffW

Re: RE: Tranny not working in Reverse need HELP

doghead said:
Try it with the transfer-case in low?
I tried the transfer in high and low same thing forwards is good just will not go backwards. I just tried to pull her backwards with my truck with the tranny and transfer in neutral and my pick-up in 4 low and it just spins the tires. the deuce will not go backwards.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Tranny not working in Reverse need HELP

Next step sounds like removing your front and rear drive shafts(at the transfer-case), then see if you can move(tow) it backwards(just a little). That will definitely isolate the trouble to inside the transfer-case. Maybe hang them with some wire or rope, to help hold them in-line and off the sand. You can also confirm that it binds in reverse(running) with them disconnected.

Jake0147

Check the parking brake. One shoe can fail to lift off of the drum properly and will "self energize" in reverse, but "self release" when going forward. BTDT. Careful pulling on it with the pickup in neutral, IF this is indeed your problem, when it releases it tends to do so all at once...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

One other thought ,Has your parking brake cable tightened up on its own? Does it work(feel correctly)? Is the parking brake drum hot after you drove?

CliffW

Re: RE: Re: RE: Tranny not working in Reverse need HELP

doghead said:
One other thought ,Has your parking brake cable tightened up on its own? Does it work(feel correctly)? Is the parking brake drum hot after you drove?
I do not think that has tightened up on it own. I have not checked to see if it is hot after driving it. It moves forward fine just not backwards. Would the parking brake let it go forwards and not backwards? It is raining now so I will have to check later.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tranny not working in Reverse need HELP

Cliff, the P brake can and will grab more in reverse than forward.

CliffW

Ok I know it is raining but I could not get it off my mind so Doghead I went out and rolled around in the mud. When I got under her I saw the parking brake cable was not hooked to the arm. I could not disengage the arm it was tight. So pulled it forwards and then got under her and I could disengage it. I tie wrapped it up to check her, I have one thing to say Doghead “YOU ARE THE MAN” she is working like a champ. I will get under her when it dries up and fix it right. Thanks for all the help….

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

[thumbzup] Glad you got er figured out and it's nothing too serious. Cliff, if you ever hear the things I've said about you and your cooking (Fl Rally), "YOU ARE THE MAN"! Thanks, my friend.

CliffW

Doghead, I hope you can make it down this year too. thanks you and every one for all the help..