• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny output seal... which one?

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

Finally got all the parts for fixin' the 3052 in the M36. Looking at the new output seal I got from ODIron though, it doesn't look at all like the old seal I took out. The old seal had a felt wiper on the outer edge and was about twice as thick. The one from ODI almost looks like the transfer input/output seals I got, only larger to fit the tranny, and no felt wiper. See pics.

I found another seal from a surplus shop online (didn't buy it yet). Looks exactly like the one I took out; has the felt wiper.

Both the surplus and the ODI unit say their part number is 583509, which matches with the TM 9-2520-246-34P. Is this just an updated version?

I am concerned 'cause the ODI unit is about 1/2 the thickness of the original. Do you install the thinner seal body to the depth of the seat for the seal so its recessed or only to flush with the output shaft housing casting? Should I just order the identical surplus seal and not use this ODI unit?:confused:

Does anyone have some experience with this? I did some searches but didn't find this issue. Any help appreciated.

Thanks - Bob