• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny Problem!

brgmchevy

Two weekends ago I took my duece up to the mountain in the coal stippins area near me. Just after I pulled off the main road up the bank in the snow, I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and the shifter stuck in neutral. I couldn't get it into any gear? :confused: My friend pulled me with his 66Chevy C50 NAPCO dually 4x4 (he just got it together)! :mad: I was able to jam it into 2nd and move it but it wouldn't come back out! I had to tear the top off the tranny at the mountain. My buddies weren't to shure if it could be done, but I figured military stuff would be OK. [thumbzup] I found the 2nd to 3rd shift sprag was binding on the shifter sleeve. I was able to tap the sprag into neutral and I was able to use R,1st,4th and OD! The fluid level was good and the shafts and gears looked lubed and OK. Needless to say it didn't stop me from playing in the snow! I was able to get home starting in 4th, low range, then shifting into high range and then into 5th. I did some researching into the e-tech manuals I have and I suspected the woodruff keys for the shifter sleeve sheared. I figured I could pull the tranny main shaft out of the tranny without removing the tranny. Today, I decided to get that shaft out! I was able to get the shaft out of the tranny with little problems! [thumbzup] As I suspected the woodruff keys sheared and this caused the sprag to bind on the sleeve. [:)] Now, I need to press the sleeve off the shaft and determine the extent of the damage. Possibly, I may be able to salvage all the parts? I may only need 2-woodruffs to fix it? I hope! Anyone else ever have a problem with their tranny?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks