• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tranny question

rottiedog

Is it ok to dress in woman's clothes???.......

Just kidding, I got the new truck running this morning. Tried to go for a little ride. Put it in drive and hit the gas. It took off FAST!! It was in 4 low. Shifted back to 4 High. (problem #1, took a TON of force to shift the transfer case).

Tried to back it back up. I could tell that it was in gear and would move if I reved the piss out of it. (problem #2, No mooving) Checked the fluid, looked good and didn't smell burnt.

I am having bad feelings that the tranny is toast but does anyone have any ideas?

Westech

CPL
well it did move in low gear.. sounds like the T case linkage is out of wack. If the trans was toast it would not have moved at all. Like its stuck in between gears. I would spray the linkage down with PB blaster or like penetrating oil and try to adjust it. Best way I know of is to remove the linkage and move it by hand and try it one "click' at a time. Then get all the adjusters moving free and reassemble.

tm america

i'd check the transfer case linkage first make sure you're getting full movement but it a very good chance the range fork in the transfer case is worn through and letting the engaging hub slide back it will try to go towards low cuz how the cut of the planet moves it when load it applied tthat could be why it didnt want to move in rev since the planet froces it the other way in rev

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the 727 trans is slipping in rev, mine does that too after sitting for months, it will work itself out, make sure the trans is topped off.

rottiedog

Transfercase was down two quarts. Sprayed the linkage but still won't move freely. Topped off and it seems to be getting better but still winding up the RPMs and not really moving too fast. Drove down the street and it won't upshift till about redline.

I have a transmission shop that will check it out for free and I trust the guy so I might have him look at it tomorrow.

thanks,
Mike

tm america

the reason for slipping after sitting for months is the converter drians back and it will only fill in neutral or rev with a stock valve body the are ways to fix this .you can install a check valve in the return line which will prevent drain back also you have to remember to check the fluid level while in neutral .if you check it in park it could read full while really being several quarts low

rottiedog

Wow, simple things fix big problems. I checked it in neutral and it was dry. In park, it was full. I should have known to check in neutral. Works like a champ now. Idle is ROUGH. Tune-up next and it looks like the balancer is shot. Lots of shaking at low RPMs and the rubber is coming out of it. Took it to the gas station and filled it up with some fresh fuel.

Thanks for the help....

c_hartwig

sounds like what happened to me

i am having the same thing with my m880, i'm going to try all those things with mine. i was thinking the transfer case chain slipped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks