• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tranny rattle?

JamieM1009

tranny rattle? - updated-

Hey

So I took my M1009 out for a run yesterday , about 20 miles each way. After about 5 minutes I could hear a tinny rattle under neath when i come off the gas. When in cruising along at up to 50/60 you can't hear anything but as soon as you come off the gas there it is. It seemed to sound worse as I came to the end of the journey. Transmission changes up and down fine and it drives ok except for near the end of the journey I seemed to feel a slight vibration. Can anyone help? I was thinking maybe something to do with flexplate, torque converter, tranny???? It only does it when I come off the gas but then did start to rattle and scrape a little bit as I pulled away from a stop.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Check the torque converter to flywheel/flexplate bolts they may be loose. If they are get new ones and replace them. They have a special lock tight built into the threads. Another option is to put lock tight on them before you re-tighten them. I opt to replace them each time. They are very inexpensive in comparison to the failure you are experiencing. You should be able to complete this repair in an hour. Good luck. Remove the cover under neath between the engine and transmission and access the flywheel and torque converter bolts.

llong66

What about U-joint? as the torque is applied, released, it could let any slop show...I have no experience with that kind of filure, but it makes sense, atleast from the arm chair here :???:

cucvrus

Yes the U joint is possible. But I was thinking if it was that loose it would rubble and vibrate at spped. I have a bad one in the rear shaft of the M1008 and it vibrates at 50 -55. At 70 it is gone. M1009 are know for rear ujoint issues.

JamieM1009

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I got under it tonight and took off the flywheel cover. All the bolts seemed tight and there were no signs of wear, such as rubbing, metal shavings, etc so that seemed good. I was knocking around and there seemed to be something rattling in one of the new mufflers that I recently fitted so I'll take that off and see if whatever it is will come out. The drive shaft seemed tight and there wasn't any play so I presume that's ok and I checked the oil in the rear diff and that was fine. The rattle in the exhaust was the kind of sound I was thinking of so hopefully that's the rattle. Can't seem to find anything else so any ideas what the scraping noise might have been? That happened near the end of the journey and was only when I pulled away from a stop.

JamieM1009

Thanks man, will give it a shot. Would that make a scraping noise? I hadn't used the truck for a couple of months but didn't have any problems last time I used it so it's really odd to develop a fault without using it.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They like to be used! Nothing is more harmful than not using a piece of equipment.

If it solves the scraping/rattle for a very short while and you know you just zapped it full of grease, you can now point to it as the culprit OR to start looking at other things.

JamieM1009

I was reading an old post that was almost the same as mine and the guy seemed to fix it when he played about with the transfer case. Putting it in 4h, 4l, etc and then suddenly it went clunk and that was it. I know I moved the shifter about while it was running so but I didn't go anywhere, maybe this could be it.

JamieM1009

Ok so found a big piece of something inside the muffler, probably the stuff that absorbs the gasses, that would have been the rattle. Checked the UJ at the drive shaft to rear diff and it was totally dry and wasted. Only one of the cups that goes under the bracket part had bearings in, the other was full of dry rust and craps so ordered a new joint. I guess that explained the slight vibration . Only thing left to try and resolve is the scraping noise but after reading that old post I'm hoping it was just the transfer case getting stuck or out of line through lack of use and me putting it in and out of 4h/l when I started it up over the winter but never moved anywhere.
Am I right in thinking the old UJ is just pushed in and I do the same with the new one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks