• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tranny rebuild

tiger422

I have been working on rebuilding my transmission, getting most of the parts has been easy. I tore it down Sun. and was making good headway untill I found the 14 loose roller bearings need to be replaced some of them have pits in them. I have spent alot of time on the phone today trying to find new ones.
Not having luck finding them and not sure what size new rollers should be.
The old rollers measure .560 long x .312 OD not a standard size.

Any help with this would be great, sizes, a place to buy new rollers.

Coal Cracker

I'd be curious on this too.

Did you get a rebuild kit? or piece it together yourself?

I used to use six states distributors in salt lake city ut. ask for conan.

jwaller

why rebuild when you can buy a good takeout for less than 200? :) just kidding, I like the job myself but it just doesn't make sense money wise.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What made you want to rebuild the transmission? What all parts are you putting in? Im courious because the synchros in my transmission are whooped and shifting isnt easy at all. I dont know if ill just need synchros, gaskets and seals or if there may be more (if i dig into the clutch).
Any pictures or info you can add would be appricated!:beer:

Heavysteven

This is where disagree with others. I like rebuilding parts because I know it's done right. I only wish I had the time to rebuild my transmission.

Hope you find your parts. Good luck.

jwaller

Take outs for less than 200? I'll take two, free shipping? Could not find for less than 300 and that was if I picked up
no, not from dealers but the last 3 I have bought were all good takeout's for less than 500 on all 3.
they are out there keep looking.

Coal Cracker

When I get done with it I will know what I have and that is well worth it to me.

Tiger, I'm with ya, I'm the same way, why waste time and effort pulling a trans, only to find out the take out you buy might be toast.

I like to feel confident that it's gonna work while I'm laying on my back installing it.

badgmc56

tiger422, I just got done going through my 3053. Memphis had all the parts I needed including the rollers. I think they were about a 1.50 each. If you need syncros and you want to buy new, that will cost you big. OD Iron has the best price I think on those.

tiger422

Tiger, I'm with ya, I'm the same way, why waste time and effort pulling a trans, only to find out the take out you buy might be toast.

I like to feel confident that it's gonna work while I'm laying on my back installing it.
Yea I have been the pull out way it never turns out good for me. I will not do it again with big or hard to install parts.

dkeven

as far as synchros go ebay has 4th 5th for 179 and shipping item 250598354915 if you need it, cheapest I found. I purchased a spare to use parts as a donor if needed and bought some parts. Turned out buying all the parts I needed was cheaper as the 3053a doesn't grow on trees in my area. Would only use a takeout after going through it also anyway.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i have plenty of the rollers as does white owl. i also have all the other brngs. if they are pitted look real close at the inside of input and front of MS. i thought the syncros on ebay were for 5 ton, could be wrong. they are not too much anyway, but i have never seen a bad one, usually something else unless the dogs are worn / broken. i have to say take outs are the way to go if you know what you are looking at and take the cover off first.

tom

tiger422

I found the rollers they are on the way.
I will take another look at the inside of the input shaft and the main shaft but it looked ok first time. Shift forks look ok but I did not measure them I have a 2nd tranny in the truck right now so I can try both tops when I get it put in.
I am replacing all the bearings, syncros look good very little wear.

tiger422

I have finished the tranny install and so far everything works good no leaks 4-5 syncro is working it shifts good. I still need to take it on alonger road trip to heat the tranny up more and see if it leaks. Sorry only took few pics of syncro no others, the 4-5 syncro had small metal flakes inbeded in it. I think this was part of shifting problems I cleaned it with wire brush and small pic also scuffed the mating surface with 400 grit sand paper.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks