• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans cooler lines

cucvrus

I am asking for any pros and cons on using hydraulic line for the transmission cooler lines. I have all my power train out of my m1009 Mule and am in the process of cleaning it up , painting and reassembling it. I have the metal lines out and painted they have rubbed themselves thin at a few spots and I was thinking about measuring them and getting hydraulic lines made up and putting them on in lieu of the steel lines. The only thing I can think of is I would loose some of the cooling effect that occurs as the fluid travels thru the rubber lines vs the thin steel lines. Any ideas? Or should I just rebend new steel lines? I think that is 5/16" line.

cucvrus

I found another pair of the OEM lines in my collection of parts. I cleaned them and painted them safety red. I think it looks good. I am painting the dipsticks and oil lines safety red. Just for the heck of it. I thought about the rubber lines and thought they would hold the heat more then the thin metal lines and that would cut into my low budget build. I am saving that money for the Truck -lite LED headlamps I have coming.

choll

I had one of the trans lines rub through. I tried to find a new set to put on but had to get a hydraulic line made. I was short of time as the line went when I was getting ready for a Vegas to New Jersey run. Its been no issues at all.

cucvrus

No external cooler needed here. It lasted 30 years and 97 K miles without one. Why change the design now. The transmission shop said the transmission was spotless inside just had a few seals that needed replaced and the torque converter was going bad. I don't know how a torque converter goes bad but so be it. It is replaced now. Like me it is getting older and a few aches and pains are expected. That auxiliary transmission fluid cooler would bite into my low budget keeping it simple design/plan. Just another place for a leak. And I don't pull a trailer with it anyway. Thanks for the idea.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No external cooler needed here. It lasted 30 years and 97 K miles without one. Why change the design now. The transmission shop said the transmission was spotless inside just had a few seals that needed replaced and the torque converter was going bad. I don't know how a torque converter goes bad but so be it. It is replaced now. Like me it is getting older and a few aches and pains are expected. That auxiliary transmission fluid cooler would bite into my low budget keeping it simple design/plan. Just another place for a leak. And I don't pull a trailer with it anyway. Thanks for the idea.
tinker and bolts here and there, then come the problems, keep it simple that's also my opinion ;-)