• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans fluid change out using Mityvac pump

hoplite666

So how'd you clean the pan? Change the filter?

I didn't. I did a complete drain/fill and filter change when I first got the truck (around 5k miles ago). I just like to keep things fresh. I'll do a complete service with filter at a later date. I figured doing a service like this in between full services couldn't hurt.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I worked in a trans shop in high school. I asked my boss why transmissions typically didn't come with drain plugs. Mr. Hensley told me "simple, it's so people have to drop the pan. Hopefully they'll change the filter that way."

Just one of those things that have stuck with me. Certainly new fluid can't hurt. But it's just half the job IMO.

hoplite666

I worked in a trans shop in high school. I asked my boss why transmissions typically didn't come with drain plugs. Mr. Hensley told me "simple, it's so people have to drop the pan. Hopefully they'll change the filter that way."

Just one of those things that have stuck with me. Certainly new fluid can't hurt. But it's just half the job IMO.
Its a bit overkill, but my plan is to do this with every oil change and dump the pan/change the filter once a year. At least til I switch the trans over to amsoil :)

roveroverme

Banned
I think it's a pretty cool idea. I've replaced the filter less than 500 miles ago but I want to change the fluid again. I don't have a drain plug. so this way taking the pan off is going to be way less messy.
great idea. I'll look for one

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many of the CUCVs have had their pans replaced with HMMWV pans which have the drain. Both of mine have a drain plug.

Skinny

Probably not such a big deal if you are not skipping regular filter changes. Another way would be a remote spin in filter to extend the life of the cotton pan filter. 5k mileage intervals for fluid is pretty aggressive even for my standards unless you are running it hard, then you are spot on as oil is cheap insurance. Also a good way to get new fluid into the converter, drain and fill a couple of times.

Interesting note that the older Asian transmissions (Aisin and Aisin-Warner) only had a metal mesh non-serviceable filter but the pans had drain plugs. Every 15-30k called for a fluid change but you never changed the filter. I've seen plenty with 300k stock. Really depends on your usage.

roveroverme

Banned
Many of the CUCVs have had their pans replaced with HMMWV pans which have the drain. Both of mine have a drain plug.
how much are the HMMWV pans?

Probably not such a big deal if you are not skipping regular filter changes. Another way would be a remote spin in filter to extend the life of the cotton pan filter. 5k mileage intervals for fluid is pretty aggressive even for my standards unless you are running it hard, then you are spot on as oil is cheap insurance. Also a good way to get new fluid into the converter, drain and fill a couple of times.

Interesting note that the older Asian transmissions (Aisin and Aisin-Warner) only had a metal mesh non-serviceable filter but the pans had drain plugs. Every 15-30k called for a fluid change but you never changed the filter. I've seen plenty with 300k stock. Really depends on your usage.
that's really interesting stuff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks