• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans fluid from HMMWV air cleaner?

Gear Report

What can cause transmission fluid to leak from the air cleaner?
1987 M1038, 6.2, 3 speed

When it first happened a few weeks ago I assumed it was the "transfer case vampire" and bypassed the t-case cooler loop. So, I know it can't be that.
What else could it be?

Also, no idea if related or not, but I've noticed the past week or so that the first time the HMMWV is driven for the day it takes a minute for the transmission to warm up and start working. ie. I put it in R and the engine revs, but no movement. So, I hold the brake and cycle through 1, 2, D, N, R, stopping for a couple of seconds on each. Maybe it works when I get back to R. Maybe I have to go through them again. Once warmed up it appears to operate as it should.
I checked trans fluid and it was a 1/4" high on the dipstick, so syphoned some out.
Ideas?
IMG_20161127_123006402.jpgIMG_20161127_123037801.jpgIMG_20161127_123116914.jpg

Action

if the fluid is too low, it wont move. Was it warmed up and engine running when you checked the level? you may have not needed to take any out...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trans fluid is only in 3 components, trans, tcase and PS pump...the PS pump is only vented on Marine corp trucks.
all vents terminate to the air filter box...are you sure it's ATF? A bad fuel pump diaphragm will leak to the filter as well.
your trans issues are not good....it is not normal.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want to know where it's coming from, disconnect the vents going to the trans and tcase...it will leak out of the affected component. It's also possible you have residual fluid still in the line....did you open the tcase fill plug and drain out the excess if you in fact think the cooler loop was broken? If you didn't, it's waaaay over full and still venting out.
also, blow out the vent lines...but be careful, low pressure.

Gear Report

if the fluid is too low, it wont move. Was it warmed up and engine running when you checked the level? you may have not needed to take any out...
I am now questioning whether it was warm enough. Will check after I drive it next.

Gear Report

If you really want to know where it's coming from, disconnect the vents going to the trans and tcase...it will leak out of the affected component. It's also possible you have residual fluid still in the line....did you open the tcase fill plug and drain out the excess if you in fact think the cooler loop was broken? If you didn't, it's waaaay over full and still venting out.
also, blow out the vent lines...but be careful, low pressure.
I am hoping it is residual fluid in the vent line.
When it first started dripping trans fluid under the air cleaner I determined the t-case cooling loop was leaking by checking t-case and finding an extra quart+ above the fill plug. I let it drain until it was at the fill plug.
I will disconnect and blow out the vent lines this week.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off road diesel is pink and oily too. But I'm sure you know what's in your fuel tank.
Bulldogger

tomcata3

I talked to a hmmwv mechanic and he point out that the vent line for the hubs had to be separated from the transfer case and the transmission , there is a tm for this. if you drive fast it can pull the fluid up into transmission then to the air cleaner. check your hubs. I ran a new line to separate the hubs and connect it right before it goes into the air cleaner

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to a hmmwv mechanic and he point out that the vent line for the hubs had to be separated from the transfer case and the transmission , there is a tm for this. if you drive fast it can pull the fluid up into transmission then to the air cleaner. check your hubs. I ran a new line to separate the hubs and connect it right before it goes into the air cleaner

never heard od of such a thing, Hummer H1's have same vent setup as HMMWV and never an issue in over 20yrs.

Gear Report

This is odd.
Pulled the fill plug on the t-case and got about a quart of fluid out of it.
After bypassing the t-case cooling loop a couple of weeks ago the fluid in the t-case was level with the bottom of the fill hole.
... and I checked the transmission after driving yesterday and it was about a quart low.

The parts TM shows the trans and t-case in separate illustrations. I can't wrap my head around how they connect. Is there a seal between the trans and t-case that is leaking?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is odd.
Pulled the fill plug on the t-case and got about a quart of fluid out of it.
After bypassing the t-case cooling loop a couple of weeks ago the fluid in the t-case was level with the bottom of the fill hole.
... and I checked the transmission after driving yesterday and it was about a quart low.

The parts TM shows the trans and t-case in separate illustrations. I can't wrap my head around how they connect. Is there a seal between the trans and t-case that is leaking?

There is no way you would get that much fluid from the trans to tcase at the mating area, the seal on the forward shaft even if it failed would not allow that much fluid to flow. Unless maybe the seal is gone, highly unlikely.
please post a pic of your cooler bypass you performed....you still have your trans dumping fluid into the tcase.

the venting is easy and the same on every Hmmwv...there is a vent line from the trans and tcase that come together at a "tee", then routes to frame rail vent line, the frame vent line is coming from the rear diff and geared hubs...this continues on to the front to join the front diff and hubs, as well as the fuel pump, then "tees" off to the air cleaner housing.

Gear Report

Ok. For now I'll monitor and assume that I somehow screwed up the t-case fluid level when I did the t-case cooler bypass.
I think the transmission being low was my mistake after syphoning some fluid out after checking it when it wasn't fully warmed up. Coincidence that the t-case was high by the same amount the trans was low.

Gear Report

This past weekend I dropped the transmission pan and changed the transmission filter. Someone PMd me that the delayed transmission engagement could be a bad o-ring on the transmission filter pick-up tube. The o-ring was intact, but hard. I replaced that o-ring and it appears to have solved the delayed engagement issue. I had noticed before that when checking the transmission fluid after a drive the fluid was pretty bubbly. After replacing the o-ring it is not. So, hoping that this internal pick-up tube suction issue was creating an internal pressure imbalance that caused fluid venting. Haven't had any further venting since replacing the o-ring.

I suspect the t-case was getting fluid via the vent line from the transmission.

I'll make sure the t-case fluid level is correct and check it frequently to be sure it isn't changing. If it is, then I'll isolate the vent lines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks