• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans fluid level

BenRoberts

Certified insane
could use a bit of knowledge here. I was checking the trans fluid on the 923 and when I first fired it up for grins i pulled the stick cold figuring it would read a bit low and it did but it was way low in my opinion. No big deal, I ran and got some fluid and when I got home it was at full temp and before I added any fluid I pulled the stick again and it read beyond full. Im guessing there is a sweet spot on temp to check it and browsing the TM I didnt come across it. I appreciate the help.

JohnnyBM931A2

It's been a long time since I did mine.. But I seem to remember you are supposed to check it with the engine idling, and only once it reaches operating temp (I don't recall there being a specific temp listed.) Hopefully someone else chimes in though. It might be different regardless, since mine is an A2, but I think the trans is exactly the same between the variations.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's interesting that you mention this... I had the opposite the last few days on my '85 923. I pull the stick cold, and it's 6 to 8 inches ABOVE the high mark. Warmed up, and in gear, it gets down to just above the high mark. There's no leaks, and it shifts great ( with the normal exception of the downshift "kick me from behind" first gear). But I worry that I've missed something. My brother thinks we should drain some, I think we should completely flush and fill to spec (since the last owner had no records for the year he had it, and I've only had it for 3 months).

infidel got me

If I'm not mistaken it should read low when cold and be checked idling at operating temp. as stated earlier. As far as the first gear whiplash, this is normal, other members on here have changed and or adjusted trans.cables. This will buffer the downshift, but wont eliminate all of it. Some have posted that changing the fluid over to dextron makes a world of difference. Idk I think it is just the way these trucks are designed.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dramatic jump from being way low to insanely full has me thrown. I understand fluid expansion but not this much
The amount of fluid expansion is directly related to fluid quantity. Your dealing with a lot of fluid here. Temperature differences can change the level more than you think. Cold checks are usually just to verify that fluid is present. Hot checks should be used to get an accurate reading.

Read pages 26-29 in the Allison Operators Manual in the link below. Follow the steps carefully for the most accurate level reading and definantly make sure you're on level ground.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?124071-Allison-Transmission-Manuals

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you check your trans fluid it should be in neutral ( that could by why yours is low when warmed up) .
I found on my was just a little over full and by the time I drove it home the out put shaft seal was leaking. It was not much overfull either.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's interesting that you mention this... I had the opposite the last few days on my '85 923. I pull the stick cold, and it's 6 to 8 inches ABOVE the high mark. Warmed up, and in gear, it gets down to just above the high mark. There's no leaks, and it shifts great ( with the normal exception of the downshift "kick me from behind" first gear). But I worry that I've missed something. My brother thinks we should drain some, I think we should completely flush and fill to spec (since the last owner had no records for the year he had it, and I've only had it for 3 months).

When you check your trans fluid it should be in neutral ( that could by why yours is low when warmed up) .
I found on my was just a little over full and by the time I drove it home the out put shaft seal was leaking. It was not much overfull either.

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
Best way to check when warm and idling in neutral don't do it cold running or not because the longer the truck sits the more fluid drains back from the converter and your level show higher then it is also if you haven't driven it then it will show higher also
We feel this is the best and safest way to check it