• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans gearing question

Old Rusty m1008

Ok so I finally got my title and got my truck registered and took it on its maiden voyage as a former military truck I know these things are geared really low as they have a ton of torque. It does not really appear when driving that these trucks spend any real time in first gear its almost immediately into second then they shift into third about 15-23 mph and it tops out about 55 mph with the truck screaming... the truck cruises at 40 with no problem... is that normal for these trucks ? I know we have all three gears as ive put it manually into first and second and they seem to work..

epartsman

This is normal. The trucks have 4:56 gears for off road use. You have several options. You can change over to 3:73 ratio with some modification. You can go with a lift kit and larger tires. You can do a 700r4 or a 4L80 trans swap. All of which is discussed in detail in the forums here. Welcome to SS!

cliffyp

For typical driving that sounds normal. If you really get down on the throttle those shift points should be higher. You can also manually shift if you have a need to raise the shift points for a specific application.

TVOLLMER

I have recently installed a 700r4 and have come to appreciate hearing myself think. The best mod I have ever done. The low gears and lower 1st gear in the 700r4 are very helpful when towing like I do. And with the over drive i can cruise at 65 with no issues and less road noise then with the stock turbo400 at 55.

Keith_J

If the vacuum regulator on the injection pump has failed, you will get sluggish shifting regardless of throttle.

To diagnose, get a vacuum gauge, vacuum line and a T fitting. Install the vacuum gauge on the top line off the vacuum regulator on the injection pump. Test drive, vacuum should be proportional to throttle position with 18" at idle and no throttle. It should drop to 3-4" at wide open throttle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks