• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans help

jeffro589

Hey guys I'm stuck on the side of the road right now in my 84 1008 I was driving at about 50 mph and all the sudden it was like somebody put the truck in neutral so I pulled over put it in park it made like a grinding sound in park like when you put a vehicle in park while it's still moving shut it off put it in drive and it started driving again perfectly fine and then it did the neutral thing again I was trying to turn around and it did it I threw it in park park didn't hold it and it rolled into a ditch now no movement at all any ideas?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try some different ranges on the transfer case. Sounds like the problem is in there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you still stuck on the side of the road? if not, please edit your first post.

Matt1031

NP208's have little plastic pads on the shift fork. When they get worn out, the T-case will have issues with partial engagement and popping out of gear.

Google image search "NP208 shift forks" it's a pretty common problem.

SGT Estum

Have you checked transmission fluid level? I had similar symptoms (minus the grinding sound) and it turned out that I was [embarassingly] low on ATF.

As mentioned above, grinding sound makes the transfer case more of a suspect.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, A couple days have past and you must still be broke down on the side of the road(you did not edit your first post).

Is anyone near this poor fella, he must be getting hungry by now...

BTW, updating and following up on your own threads is common courtesy and expected.

OL AG '89

Drone sent, didn't see anything but only looked on MY side of the road.
Can someone look on YOUR side of the road?

Also looked East and West of HQ not North and South.......