• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans ID Help Please

Spitfire6

Hi, I have tried to identify this trans.
Its in my civilian 1955 Fargo Truck, I think its a T98 Acme, but not 100 % sure, it's definitely20180113_160652_resized_1.jpg20180113_160647_resized_1.jpg not a NP 420.
Does anyone have an idea on this trans??thanx in advance....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes it is a BW T98 from the looks of it. No tag or casting #s on it?

Does the mounting foot at the rear of the case face forward or rear extended?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Spitfire6

Hello and thanx, trans case is greasy, and no tags. Im pulling it tomorrow for a good look, been driving it for 5 years.
The mounting foot, not sure on that yet?...it's a T98 Acme then?
Yes it is a BW T98 from the looks of it. No tag or casting #s on it?

Does the mounting foot at the rear of the case face forward or rear extended?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello and thanx, trans case is greasy, and no tags. Im pulling it tomorrow for a good look, been driving it for 5 years.
The mounting foot, not sure on that yet?...it's a T98 Acme then?
On the case between the rear of it and the brake there should be a mount. If the mount is straight down and 90 degrees to the front its forsure a T98.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There also should be a stamp on the upper housing cover. It should have a T98 stamp on it. on the passengers side of the upper cover.

You can also remove the upper cover and count teeth. The T98 will have a 43 tooth first-reverse sliding gear (the rearmost mainshaft gear, spur cut) and a 17 tooth cluster gear (also spur cut).

Last edited:

Spitfire6

Does it look like a T98 acme?
Its aint a New Process 420 thats for sure...
There also should be a stamp on the upper housing cover. It should have a T98 stamp on it. on the passengers side of the upper cover.

You can also remove the upper cover and count teeth. The T98 will have a 43 tooth first-reverse sliding gear (the rearmost mainshaft gear, spur cut) and a 17 tooth cluster gear (also spur cut).

Spitfire6

This trans looks pretty good inside and was working well enough. Is there kits you can buy for these anymore?
Anyone know the gear ratios and spread for this if its a T98 Acme? thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This trans looks pretty good inside and was working well enough. Is there kits you can buy for these anymore?
Anyone know the gear ratios and spread for this if its a T98 Acme? thanks
T98 and a T98A are identical.

6.40, 3.09,1.69,1.00 and 7.82 rev

The T98A has heli cut gears unlike a t98

I think the only other difference is a bronze gear on the 3rd shaft

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks