• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trans Jamed in 2nd

digitaldust

Trans is stuck in the location of 2nd but not driving at all as if the clutch is in
any ideas
I'm bushed now from pulling it back home with a pickup truck. But I'd like to dig in when i get the steam back after lunch maybe

I cant move the shifter at all. clutch goes in an out as if its ok Truck rolls like in Neutral ..

thanks anyone who had fixed trans on deuce

BTW I'm looking for a Trans for deuce or parts ! :)
/810/577/3524 Travis

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you probably have worn out parts in cover. replace top cover with a good one and it should solve some other problems as well.

digitaldust

top cover is off the trans gears look ok that last gear slides as you can see in the pics. there is a rod sticking out the top of the trans lid going out the back with a hold drilled into it .

the lid is still stuck in 2nd ? forks look ok ,

how does that lid come apart ><?> its all wire tied together

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might also check with the guy from whom you bought the truck. They might have some ideas.

crazyplowboy

I just tore my tranny apart yesterday, lots of these issues going around TM 9-2520-246-34,
9-2520-246-34-1, and 9-2520-246-34-p cover about anything you can do to a trans. I would start with TM 9-2520-246-34 for info about the top cover, it seems to be the most detailed, but it takes a little while to load so be patient.

Last edited:

bassetdeuce

That big sliding gear is first gear. The rod sticking out the end is for the sprag. If your truck has an air shift transfer, it wont be connected to anything.
The correct TM for top cover disassembly is: TM9-2520-246-34-1 (pg. 2-36)
Basically, you undo the wire ties so you can unscrew the shifter fork bolts. Once the shifter forks are loose, you can tap out the shift rods out of the top cover. (They exit out of the caps-> those three things that look like plugs on the end of the top cover. As you tap on them, the caps will tap out too. Be careful when tapping the control rods out because there are detent balls and springs under them. Just keep track of where they go.
With the rods and forks removed, you have access to the "H" plate in there that guides the shift lever. Inspect this part.

digitaldust

ok I took the top off it was locked up. then during transporting it to the work area it freed up again i could shift the top.
I want to remove the wire ties and square bolts. i tired to unscrew one with a 3/8 open end wrench but its not going to budge.

any ideas is there a tool i need ?
i did remove the wire
taoping the wrench with a hammer does not seem to make a diff on the bolt.

bassetdeuce

OK, you said it was locked up even after you pulled it off? Then it freed itself right? Just makin sure I understand you. There is something seriously worn out in there. As far as the bolt goes, I would just use a BIGGER wrench and get some muscle on it. Thats what I did (I used an adjustable) and my bolts were tight too.

BTW, Brett at Boyce Equipment has these top covers already rebuilt for $100 or so (I think). They are assembled and ready to drop in. He also has lots of spicer parts. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, just passing some info just in case you want to chuck that top cover in the trash.

digitaldust

After Much testing , the top cover IS working the 2nd and 3rd on the TRANS stuck does not move free i have to hit a pry bar fork "homemade tool" up and down to make the trans shift from 2 N 3 N 2 N etc... toast i say 1 , N, R, all work nice with top and by hand in trans also 4 , N ,5 work with top and by hand in the trans.

I DID FIND some of a washer in the bottom of the trans I wonder if 2,3 is dead from steel waster bits ground up in the trans or did the syncros fail ?

thanks everyone who have offer ideas , read this post and helped or just gave input , the last 3 days have been all day all trans for this nubee to the deuce

I guess I'm looking for a set of gears on top " 1 ,2 ,3 , 4, 5 all nice smoth sliding into places

Carl_in_NH

When you found the sliding gears were "stuck" on the shafts and wouldn't slide, did you have the transmission unloaded ? If the drive train is "wound up", some of those gears won't slide until the stress is taken off the drive train.

Generally speaking, the photos of the parts in your transmission didn't look bad - typically there's lots of visable damage when something is badly messed up. That's not to say there isn't something wrong - like a gear bearing galled onto the shaft - it just doesn't look like it from 1000 miles away. Do you see any signs of distress on the shaft where the 2 N 3 gear slides back-and-forth?

Proceed carefully - and don't just go banging on stuff without doing a careful examination of the assembly. Using force in finely machines assemblies with sliding parts, like a transmission or a geared headstock lathe, almost always results in having to replace something that wasn't really bad before you started 'fixing' it. I learned that lesson the hard way when I was young.

digitaldust

Yes i careful as banging on the parts to not make marks or stress things out . I dont see any signs of bad parts just stuck gears 2,3

as for as load transfer case is in N and clutch had been in and out I would thought that has taken load off the trans.

can the gears be taken out with the trans in the truck?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks