• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trans replacement help

sodslinger

i use my duece to haul sod in florida on and offroad. My transmission just isnt doing it for me i need a few more gears to get things going, is it possible to swap out foe something different and what should i look for? thanks -travis-

acetomatoco

With 10 forward speeds to begin with, how many would you like... You can run it in low range off road up to 35 or so and the rest of the time in high... Most of us split shift the transfer case when we think we need more gears...But I imagine you have more of a load than the truck was designed for and your real need is for a 5 ton...

sodslinger

the truck is a m35a2 that has been converted to a replicate a m275 tractor and the motor is a white with a whistler. Im pullin a m127a2c with about 22,000 pounds of loaded cargo, is that too much for the truck to pull?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
17,000 off road and 30,000 on road. 30,000 is just a bit much to be doing 55 MPH. I have no problem running 55 with 22,000# with my 275 but more than that is tougher. What part of FL are you at?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess a question would be, what transmission/clutch sets will fit in the space. Then pick from those. The transmission-transfer shaft can be shortened a little, but not too much. Anything else like moving things, swapping engines, etc, and it would become a major undertaking.

sodslinger

im in jacksonville florida, and i appreciate everyones help now i just need to find a good 5 ton for a reasonable price. anyone know of a 5 ton in the florida georgia area?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the M818 tractor with the NHC250 might be the workhorse you need. Better power, better stability and better braking plus you can up date to straight air brakes (costly) if you needed to.