• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case barfing oil

67X

I changed my t-case oil yesterday. drained about 5 qts out looked really thin..and blackish. Drain plug had a small amount of very fine metal. Put new stuff in went for drive.

I went 15 miles and glanced underneath everyrthing looked fine. Drove back home another 15 miles, went to bleed air tanks and noticed oil everywhere on inside of tires and differential.

T-case was fairly warm but not hot to touch. Checked fluid level the next day and was at 1/2" below fill hole. checked seals..no leaks..plugs not leaking. Oil seems to have been comming from the top of the case at the vent reached up and spun it a bit and it gave me a small hiss. Cleaned everything off and went for a 3 mile drive and no leaks.

I read a tread where someone described a similar problem but sait it was speedo cable. Maybe I somehow overfilled it? Any ideas why it would have done this? Thanks

-Adam

Attachments

armadillofz1

it is my understanding that 1" to 1/2" below the fill spout is correct. i've been told the one knuckle rule applies to both trans and t-case. anything more than that will puke out. again this is what i've been told.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I read your post correctly you said you manipulated the vent with your fingers and air escaped, or drew in. That being the case you may want to remove and clean the vent to make sure it is ventilating properly.

Rick

phil2968

Mine did the same thing after the parking brake hardware ie cable nut and return spring fell off and let the shoes drag on the drum, overheating the TC and causing the chassis and axles to get overlubed!

67X

thanks everyone...tomorrow I'll double check the vent to make sure it not obstructed. I just realized why the guy tailgating me in the Prius looked so angry when he passed me. I guess he didnt like his free windshield lube job. Or he realized his car is about as fast as my truck. rofl

-Adam

Heavysteven

Thanks for sharing your story. I just cleaned and inspcted my axle vents. Gues the trans and tc vents are next.

I read a post that said to blow them out and use alittle brake cleaner.

combat32

I have heard that any local (to you) truck parts suppier normally carry these in stock.I am gonna take one of mine to Truck Pro to match it up.Got my pto gasket there as well,

airmech3839

It was probably one of my posts on my trans case vent and seal leak....now that vent is fixed...I think.....the aft shaft seal is leaking and if she sits for more than a day she leaves her mark on the driveway..... I have really black fluid so I am gonna change it soon...mine was at the fill point so she was probably spitting out the excess...still........

I will probably change the seal when I change the oil....my undercarriage wont rust for awhile!!:-D