• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Cooling Loop

Inspector 1

I bypassed my 218 transfer case cooling loop due to the "Vampire" leak. Can anyone tell me of an actual case where their transfer case got damaged after disconnecting the cooling loop. I understand the potential possibilities of damage. That's not what I'm interested in hearing. I have heard more stories with people having the cooling loop disconnected for years with no damage at all.

papakb

The HMMWV was designed for use in almost any climate from the artic to the scorching desert and the design reflects that. It had to survive in the most extreme conditions and still function to transport and protect its occupants. Transmission and transfer case cooling loops serve 2 functions. To bring them up to temp when cold and to provide cooling when they're used in extreme heat conditions. You'll probably never see their worst case conditions operating here in the states so bypassing the cooling loop won't kill you, even in Texas! LOL :cool:

Inspector 1

The HMMWV was designed for use in almost any climate from the artic to the scorching desert and the design reflects that. It had to survive in the most extreme conditions and still function to transport and protect its occupants. Transmission and transfer case cooling loops serve 2 functions. To bring them up to temp when cold and to provide cooling when they're used in extreme heat conditions. You'll probably never see their worst case conditions operating here in the states so bypassing the cooling loop won't kill you, even in Texas! LOL :cool:
I appreciate your response. Many people stating that I will damage the TC without it but no documented examples. 😀

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have antifreeze flowing thru my transfer case cooling loop. I guess I do not want that to spring a leak.
With the propensity these things have for leaking, and the amount of badness antifreeze would cause if it got loose in the tcase, I would advocate heavily to change that....

Not that it's any of my business.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the propensity these things have for leaking, and the amount of badness antifreeze would cause if it got loose in the tcase, I would advocate heavily to change that....

Not that it's any of my business.
Only REV trucks S.N. 300,000.and above use anti freeze...all others use trans fluid.

stv2258pho

I bypassed my 218 transfer case cooling loop due to the "Vampire" leak. Can anyone tell me of an actual case where their transfer case got damaged after disconnecting the cooling loop. I understand the potential possibilities of damage. That's not what I'm interested in hearing. I have heard more stories with people having the cooling loop disconnected for years with no damage at all.
May I ask? Is it as simple as
simply disconnecting at the transfer case and taking those two hoses and putting them together?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only time you would build any real heat in the TC is in low range and being heavily loaded (read soft sand) for a long period of time, in matters not what you tow in high range.
The same basic TC is used in many civy applications without supplemental cooling

Inspector 1

May I ask? Is it as simple as
simply disconnecting at the transfer case and taking those two hoses and putting them together?
Good afternoon,
To answer your question; It is that simple. I live in the greater Houston TX area where the summer temps were exceeding 100+ degrees daily. I daily drive my HMMWV at 70 MPH highway speeds and have had no problems with the transfer case since disconnecting and looping the two lines together. I have a 700R "K" transmission with the electronic lock up which allows me to drive 70+ mph.
Best of Hope on your project!

Attachments

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure you use trans line hose and a a good 3/8" hard line for the bend. Flaring the lines is a good idea (double or single) but if it's a small stright gap between the hard lines if you can double clamps it you should be fine. Around 90psi in the trans lines as I remember.

Have had mine this way for four years. I also have a brand new NP242 TC just sitting on the shelf if I ever need it.

Mark

stv2258pho

Good afternoon,
To answer your question; It is that simple. I live in the greater Houston TX area where the summer temps were exceeding 100+ degrees daily. I daily drive my HMMWV at 70 MPH highway speeds and have had no problems with the transfer case since disconnecting and looping the two lines together. I have a 700R "K" transmission with the electronic lock up which allows me to drive 70+ mph.
Best of Hope on your project!
thank you

87cr250r

If you want on engine hoses that last, you'll need to use high temp rated hose such as Parker 206 or 426 or Aeroquip FC234. These hoses are great for oil and diesel fuel and do ok with hot water.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks