• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Dimensions 2.5 & 5 Ton

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys,
I've have attempted to search down some rough transfer case dimensions for both deuce and 5 ton's and have had no luck. Would one of you military truck "whizend onces" please share with me where i can find info like drop, offset, and rough dimensions of the range of t-cases.

I am in preliminary stages of planning to rip the POS prototype MD3070 out and replacing the drive line with a MT654 (with MT653 first gear) and a 2 speed transfer case.

Thanks in advance
J.S.

libbydrop.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, they have the same frame width(34 inches I think) so the width is the same. I'm not sure if the frames are the same height, but the cabs are the same, So I doubt one is higher than the other. Now you just need someone to post up the rest of the info.

I'm not sure exactly what your looking to do, but the 939 series T-case has an O/D high range VS the others 1:1 high range. If your looking for more speed, go with a 939 series T-case.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gringeltaube!

Besides the info... I love your drawing style.
So i can presume that there is no output shaft offset (left or right) then? The dropbox component of the MD3070 has a 16" drop and a 9" offset to the left. I'd like to stick to Rockwell military t-cases, however i have not found anything that even comes close to that parameter.

All valid suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks Gringeltaube!

So i can presume that there is no output shaft offset (left or right) then? The dropbox component of the MD3070 has a 16" drop and a 9" offset to the left. I'd like to stick to Rockwell military t-cases, however i have not found anything that even comes close to that parameter.

All valid suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Yes, the output for the front is offset by 11 inches as shown in the drawing. The way it hangs down, its not too bad off from center. The deuce's front axle's input is just off from center, so the DS angle isn't too bad.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gringeltaube!

So i can presume that there is no output shaft offset (left or right) then? The dropbox component of the MD3070 has a 16" drop and a 9" offset to the left. I'd like to stick to Rockwell military t-cases, however i have not found anything that even comes close to that parameter. ..........
Thanks Joaquín. See additional drawing; I think that answers your question. Obviously front- and rear output shafts are on the same axis.

G.

Attachments

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You probably don't want to hear it, but have you looked at Atlas transfer cases?
WOW! I wana try some of whatever you are smoking!

I would suggest fabco over atlas. They are designed for larger trucks.

The bad news is they are rather expensive......used.
Funny you should mention that... I have this Fabco TC-38 that I originally bought to fit into Casa Azul, then opted not to. I have to do some "sussing" to see if i can make it work.

BTW: The scrambler in the backround has an Atlas in it.

fabco_tc38.jpg

Jeepsinker

It was only a suggestion as to contact them and see if they offer or could build something to suit your needs. They do build some transfer cases that can take a lot of input power, shock loading, and just abuse in general. I don't know their product lineup, I just thought it might be worth a phone call.

welldigger

WOW! I wana try some of whatever you are smoking!

Funny you should mention that... I have this Fabco TC-38 that I originally bought to fit into Casa Azul, then opted not to. I have to do some "sussing" to see if i can make it work.

BTW: The scrambler in the backround has an Atlas in it.

View attachment 531812
Is that tc38 too big? Outputs in the wrong place?

I'd rather have that transfer case over the deuce transfer case any day. Assuming it fits in the space your wanting to shove it in.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup! I tried to call Fabco several times today but could not get through. The bay area is getting hammered by a HUGE-arse storm. After looking at the case, my guess is that the offset can be swapped. We'll see.

The cool thing is that I am in no hurry. I've let Libelula just sit for a few years and am now I'm fired up to bring her back to life "in a big way"!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks