• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case issue?

TonkaT

Straight from the wild, the front drive shaft on my M998 came off at the universal (strap bolts sheared). My thought is at some point, the truck had been towed with the driveshaft disconnected and it was half put back together. Regardless, I removed the front drive shaft completely so I could at least play with it as a 2/rear wheel drive.

I quickly discovered that the truck would only move with the transfer case in "HL" or "L". It will not move in any transmission position while the transfer case is in "H". I am working on repairing the damaged universal joint so I can reinstall the front driveshaft.

Do I need to start the hunt for a transfer case, or is it possible the absence of front wheel resistance keeps power from making it to the rear wheels? I'm hoping for the latter. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your transfer is fine. It is equipped with a inter-axle differential which allows the front and rear axles to spin at different speeds when cornering. With the front axle disconnected, the front output spins free. HL is the "Lock" position that couples the front and rear axles together.

mg276905

I am having a similar issue but hearing a ton of griding. When turned off and started in the lock or low it doesnt happen. Needless to say something is wrong thinking it might be the chain???? and ideas? where i can get a good and affordable rebuild kit?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks