• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case leak or maybe fuel? How hard to re-seal transfer case?

blutow

More auction pics. Pic below is on a truck that claims only ~30 miles since rebuild in 09. The rest of the truck is super clean. It looks like someone took the transfer case and front of drive shaft and dipped it in batter or something. I assume this is a leaking transfer case or maybe a bad fuel leak dripping from above? For as clean as the rest of the truck is and the claimed low miles, I'm amazed how much dirt is on that case and drive shaft. It's hard for me to determine where a leak would be coming from since it covers such a big area. Thats why I was thinking maybe diesel rather than the tranfer case oil. I'm not too worried if it's fuel, but not sure how hard a transfer case is to re-seal. Also, I'm not sure what's going on with that u-joint. I can't tell if it's wet with oil or the metal is banged up, but it looks shiney in that pic to me. Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

1631680332116.png

blutow

There are a couple other basically identical trucks that seem to have a similar issue. All 3 trucks claim very low miles and were rebuilt in barstow about the same time in 09. Here's a pic of one of the other trucks (which does have a reported fuel leak).

1631683543182.png

One other interesting things is both of these trucks have serpentine belts incorrectly routed. Maybe the guys doing the rebuilds at this time were not paying attention. Bad belt installs, maybe not sealing the transfer cases properly. Odd coincidence to see the exact same issues on 3 trucks. Here's a pic of the belt install below (you can see the belt going under instead of over the grooved pully). Gov planet actually highlighted it as an issue or I wouldn't have noticed it. Several trucks were sold last week with the same issue listed. I assume the belt routing is no big deal (other than the questionable skills of the folks doing the refurb).

1631683820587.png

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably not a fuel leak. Looks like leaking output shaft seals on the case, slinging fluid onto the case and then dirt is getting stuck to the fluid and building up over time. See how oily the u joint is? It spins so it flings off. But the case is covered up. Its not hard to rebuild the entire case, and fairly cheap, couple hundred bucks with some new seals and bearings.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will not get a perfect truck from auction. You gotta go ahead and get that though engrained in your head if you set down that route. The pictures will never cover every aspect of what you will need to fix.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on that truck. It's a really basic 2 door w/ no roof, but hopefully a good base to build on. Rebuild from 2009. https://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/4206782?h=6-22
Doesn't look too shabby. You will need wiper arms, probably linkages, didn't see the wiper motor either but may have missed that. Get the credit card or swap n shop ready.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks