• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case linkage stuck

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I go to put the TC in neutral to rotate and get to the u-joint grease fitting. Won't budge. Find out that part of the linkage is seized.

Any of you had this part of the TC linkage seize up? The TM show it as just a shaft going through the c-channel. My has a pipe welded in the c-channel with the shaft running trough it. I can get it to turn with a 3ft pipe slipped over the arm... barely. Have been soaking it with PB blaster, just can't get it to loosen up.

TC link.jpg

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does yours have a grease zerk in the center of the pipe? I have drilled and installed a zerk it will help. You may have to take it apart to get it loosened up; you maybe able to take an air hammer and rattle around on the pipe may help as well.

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does yours have a grease zerk in the center of the pipe? I have drilled and installed a zerk it will help. You may have to take it apart to get it loosened up; you maybe able to take an air hammer and rattle around on the pipe may help as well.

Doesn't have one, but I was thinking of putting there after I get it apart.

odnorth

Take the arms off and hammer the shaft out, without flattening the ends. There are brass bushings on the ends of the tube. mine was seized up. Took it apart and never-seized the bushings now it's good as new.

Csm Davis

Okay going to say that this is on a M939 series truck? XZL in the background gave it away, so you also need to check that your transfer case shifter interlock is functioning properly while you are there. If it were me I would disable it and the auto engagement switch on that rod you have off, so you can decide when and if you need 6x6.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I spent some time on this today. I beat on and rotated this thing until my arms were tired. I could turn it, but got nowhere knocking it out.....

Then I remembered I had one of these.. It's a tool to remove ball-joints. I got it to press out wheel studs when I flipped the hubs on a Deuce. Just barely fit. Had it pressed out in minutes.:clinto:

Doesn't look too bad, but man was it seized up. Tomorrow, clean up and reassembly..

clamp1.jpgclamp2.jpgshaft.jpgtube.jpg

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The interlock has been disabled also the front axel auto engagement.
This was one of my 5 tons.
as you can tell I never used low range.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks