• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Low Range Reverse

plainside

Hi again!

From what I have read in the manual and on the dash, it sounds like you can not use reverse with the transfer case in low range. Can this possibly be correct??

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding is if you fix the front Axel from automatically engaging then there would be no problem in reverse low.

plainside

Can I put it in REVERSE LOW if I am just backing up after pulling something out of the ground in LOW FORWARD? (Plan on pulling out a shrub row that is 100 yds long and would go forward and back a lot in low range just to use low for forward pulling)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.

Not without risking damage to your transfer case.

Coffey, The MWO simply locks out low reverse, iirc. (not the front axle). 50% sure of that...

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My buddy did it but you want to go really easy no goosing it.
I won't do it with my luck I blow the t case up no matter what I did.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric the newer trucks I think have the lock out and the older ones will auto engage front Axel.
That's most likely why they put the reverse lock out on

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the washer that automatically engages the front axle on my M929 and have ran it in reverse with the transfer case in low without the front axle engaged. The travel speed is very low, at idle it's probably not even walking speed in reverse. If you need 6x6 to get the stuff out, try it in high range and lock in the front axle. That will make it easier to go back and forth.

mcmullag

Do it in high range. Anecdotal evidence: Last summer, I hooked a chain from one bumper shackle onto a F250 4x4 with an attached trailer with some hay on it and it had buried all 4 tires deep in a wet grass field. I was facing the pickup truck and backed up in 6x6 hi range and the pickup truck rose up out of the holes the tires had dug and came right out, no problem (11 ton vehicle and 6 pulling aggressive tread tires are quite a force to contend with). just my two cents.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have backed up with no load in low range with no issues. The issue lies with heavy footing the gas in low reverse or in low reverse under load. If you want to pull something in low you are fine backing up to it to load or hook up.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are repositioning with no load on and just ease along you can use low range in reverse. If you apply torque you risk damage. If your linkage is adjusted correctly it should not be hard to shift from hi to low.

plainside

Thanks guys! Yes, just backing up to the next thing to pull out then pull out in fwd and back up again. But will try high range first.

Thanks!

dawico

I would avoid it completely personally. It only takes one bad decision to make an expensive fix. But that is just me.

High should do what you need anyways.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have backed up with no load in low range with no issues. The issue lies with heavy footing the gas in low reverse or in low reverse under load. If you want to pull something in low you are fine backing up to it to load or hook up.
I tend to agree with this.

I'm not advising anybody to do it but I've done it a bunch without problems but it's my truck and I know the risk. I haul 18-20 tons on my M939 lime truck and do my spreading in low range 2nd (it's the correct speed to get proper lime coverage). If I have to back up at the end of the field, I don't shift to high range to do it. This is a very heavy loaded truck in sometimes some rough spots but I don't dog it either. I'm sure the low range-reverse is the weak spot in the t-case but I feel comfortable with it being ok if you drive like you have some sense.

I will add that my low range 6X6 interlock has been disabled and most of the time when I back up in low range the front axle is not engaged.

74M35A2

If you ever saw a picture of a busted transfer case after Lo-reverse, you would probably not try it. That was the deal breaker for me to completely avoid it. The one I saw a pic of, the entire lower half of the case was missing, and all the gears fell out and were gone too. It was really ugly. There was nothing left to even attempt to fix.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have also backed up in low with little load and careful use of the go pedal. An M927 requires many fore and aft movements to turn around because of the wheelbase.

By the way, and easy way to disable the front locking feature when in low is to pull the pins on the shaft that connects the transfer case to the shifter and reinstall it with the washer towards the front of the vehicle. Easily restored to original if desired.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks