• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case mounting bolts

tco3129

Right side xfer case bolts that attach to the single mount sheared off. I have only one bolt in my full size M35. (a quick drill and tap while in frame). Have a logging chain wrapped around case and frame on my bobber. Both bolts are sheared. Is this common? I have yet to read of anyone else having this problem. Right now I don't have a transmission jack to help pull it down for a proper drillout and retap. I'm afraid of the cheap ones and can't afford a good one.:?:

212sparky

To get a transfer case out, you need a 4x4 through the windshield and rear window. Hooked to that is a 1ton chain fall. That case is heavy. Enjoy. Why did the bolts shear?

tco3129

Why did the bolts shear?
Don't know. From the rust on the stud pieces found lying in the frames, at least one had broken befor I owned either one. That's why I wondered if it was common.

To get a transfer case out, you need a 4x4 through the windshield and rear window.
I had thought about that but with the Tcase being roughly centered under the rear of the cab, I was leary of the balanceing act that might be involved.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bolts/studs shearing off there... I have never seen/ heard that, but I have found them loose(!) and that is always a cause for fatigue - until they finally let go.

Suggest installing them clean and oil-free, with plenty of Loctite 271.

G.

212sparky

there is no issue with it moving. As long as you have it go all the way through the windows. I am getting ready to do my second transfer case swap and i use an aluminum I beam to hold my hoist on its trolly. Rig it up unbolt it and it is out in 30 minutes.